1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

chickens wasting feed

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by mgw, Jun 20, 2010.

1. mgw

mgw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Eastern Wa.
    Hi all we have 5 black stars 13 weeks old. I built the five gallon bucket feeder with the planter base. we put it up on cinder blocks but the girls fling the feed out of the feeder & all over the ground. Is this just normal or is there something we can do to stopem from doing this. you all have good ideas & creative solutions we hope you can help us with this. feed is spendy when they are only eating half of it. thankyou mgw.

2. muddyhorse

muddyhorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2009
    Bloomsdale, MO
    I found mine waste less when I feed pellets. they still fling food, but don't get any seconds until they clean up the mess.

3. joedie

joedie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    SW Indiana
    Quote:I agree totally.

4. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
  5. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Quote:I agree totally.

[​IMG]

Me too.

6. ekemily

ekemily Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Fairhope, AL
    I like the pellets too. However, I have a hard time finding pelleted grower. It's usually just in the layer feeds around here. There is a good post on here about a PVC pipe feeder that might work for you.

7. mgw

May 29, 2010
    Eastern Wa.
    thanks for the tips . I like the looks of that feeder Y/C could probbably pay for it with couple months of food savings.

8. mgw

May 29, 2010
    Eastern Wa.
    We Have Thought About Not Giving Them Anymore Till They Clean Up The Ground But I T Has Been Raining So Much Everything That Hits The Ground Is Quickly Turned To Mush. Think They Will Still Eat It??

9. mgw

May 29, 2010
    Eastern Wa.
    Quote:wE HAVE SEEN THOSE i will look into that also thank you

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by