Chickens wasting feed

Blackjack1392

In the Brooder
6 Years
Feb 14, 2013
Jacksonville, Florida
When I first moved my chickens into thier coop/run I gave them 24/7 access to food. well it seemed like more of it was getting tossed onto the ground than they were eating, so I started limiting thier food thinking that might make them eat all of it. Well they still seem to throw more of it on the ground than they are eating. So can anyone tell me how i could fix this? Should i feed them even less?

How high up is the feeder? If it is too low, they will bill out a bunch of feed. Raise the feeder to the height of their backs. Make them reach a bit.
Jack

Right now I am feeding medicated starter crumbles. I have been mixing it with some 4 grain scratch at about a 5:1 ratio. I am down to the last bit of the crumbles and will need to buy more soon thats why I figured I would find a solution now before buying more feed. So are there different kinds of pellets? if so, which ones should I get?

oh and my chickens are 62 days old, (almost 9 weeks), if that helps at all.

Right now I am feeding medicated starter crumbles. I have been mixing it with some 4 grain scratch at about a 5:1 ratio. I am down to the last bit of the crumbles and will need to buy more soon thats why I figured I would find a solution now before buying more feed. So are there different kinds of pellets? if so, which ones should I get?

oh and my chickens are 62 days old, (almost 9 weeks), if that helps at all.
Mixing scratch with their feed makes them pick through it to find the scratch. There would be much less waste if you just throw them some scratch everyday & just let feed in their feeder.

X2. They are going to sort and toss as much feed as they can in search of all that yummy chicken candy. Nix the grain mixed with the feed and just toss a couple handfuls in the run for them now and then. I feed crumbles and I have very, very little waste. The floor around the feeder is clean of bedding and what feed does come out I see them scratching and pecking right up.

Mixing scratch with their feed makes them pick through it to find the scratch. There would be much less waste if you just throw them some scratch everyday & just let feed in their feeder.
Agreed. They will go through the feed looking for better stuff. Try feeding it separately and maybe raising their feeder higher off the ground.

Chicks/pullets make a mess and scatter their feed everywhere. When they move up to layer feed, go to the pellets as recommended above. I personally don't feed with a feeder. I did have the same problem of grown hens over eating and wasting a lot of feed. I started feeding them in the mornings a set amount when I let them out of the coop. Yes its a little more time consuming but I think I have a healthier flock and I control my feed costs a little better.

Back
Top Bottom