Chickens wasting food, need help.

Have you tried adding a 2" extension on your "Y" pvc feeder?

PVC fitting.jpg

Hello All,

Are there any resources here or photos of no waste feeders? Or anyone care to share what you use? I have the basic feeder from TSC and I even built a PVC feeder and I’m wasting a load of food. They are “billing” (?) I think is the term. Where they shovel it out with their beak to the ground and then just leave it. I’ve got food all around where I feed them on the ground and it looks like a whole lot is being wasted.

So what should I do here?

Thanks!

I just posted a thread on a similar topic. Any luck?

I haven't done much in the way of upgrades. But I like the plastic tote feeder. I've got 7 chickens in one coop and 22 in another. So the plastic tote seems the best option for the 22 chickens because I can create several food holes for them to use.

Right now I'm just tossing it on the ground and they are pecking away. But when it rains it ruins whatever they don't eat. Plus I've seen birds flying in and out eating it.

I don' have chickens yet, but I've read that fermented food saves on the waste. I could be wrong though. Maybe somebody can chime in the knows more about it.

I mix all the vegetable and fruit waste and put all the things in a milk shake jug. A mixed thick slurry type I give to my chickens. They eat all.

Back
Top Bottom