Chickens ways

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Ole rooster, Sep 10, 2011.

1. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    Yesterday after supper I let the chickens for an hour or so. Yesterday morning they were out about 2 hours. Well in the afternoon excursion one of the Buff Orpingtons, while everybody was scratching their feet raw, got on top of a pile of pinestraw/dirt combination I had drug up clearing for the coop. She was scratching up there and I thought she was bug hunting. But she was scratching in circles and sorta dug herself a hole. She sat down in it wiggeled a few times and just sat there. The others wouldn't leave her alone and started scratching where she was laying. Even trying to scratch under her. So she got up and left that spot, squawking, but did it again somewhere else.

I thought she can't be broody, she ain't even had an egg yet. Anybody know what she's up to? I guess she could just be tired. They do work hard with all that digging they do.

2. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Sounds like she wants to lay there. Put some of that same hay in the nest box maybe?

3. ThinkingChickens

ThinkingChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    She could also be dust bathing. Was she rolling to one side or flicking dirt up into her body?

4. dbounds10

dbounds10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    She was making a nest. I would get the nest boxes ready ASAP and put some hay in there. I bet you have an egg soon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by