Chickens were digging a hole, and laying on top of it. What is this? Was it nesting for egg laying?

Like I said, they have it made! They should settle into such nice quarters very quickly, and begin laying eggs very shortly.

You can increase the likelyhood of eggs if you've provided a private place for them to lay with some straw or even shredded paper (like you run through a shredding machine to destroy documents). They like to arrange the nesting material before laying, tossing it onto their backs sometimes. It's part of the ritual.

It's normal for them to explore the nest a few days before they start to lay, sort of playing in it. That will be a sign they'll lay soon.

Sounds good! I did put a bunch of straw in the coop. I even put a basket in the coop with straw in it as well, to give them a nice place to lay. Some of the straw has made its way out to the run. I guess they either brought it there, or dragged it out on their leggs while leaving the coop.

Jack pot! Lovely, lovely eggs! I bet they're the best tasting eggs you ever ate!
They really are!! :) so delicious!!

However, my chickens have been a bit aggressive lately... When I am refilling their food, they peck my arms and try to jump anywhere to reach the bag of food. I even had to slightly push one of them away because she was pecking me quite hard. Does this have a reason? Or is this just them getting very comfortable around me?

They layed eggs!!!!! :D I got 2 on Sunday, 2 on Tuesday, and 1 today!! Thanks for all the advice :) here is a pic:
Congrats!
wee.gif

Yeah, they own you now! They know you're the source of food and there's nothing that excites chickens more than the sight of food. The pecking is an overeager display of excitement. It's not easy to train a chicken not to do it other than cup a hand over their beak to force them to slow down.

Usually, over time they are less apt to do it. Often it's learned behavior in a large flock where they need to be competitive for food. With just the two, they should relax soon and not continue this competitive urge.

Back
Top Bottom