Chickens were Hurricane Victims too!

This is the plan!
fl.gif

Tomorrow morning I am taking the xxl dog crate/kennel to my Aunts house. My Uncle is going out 2nite to case the woods out (he assures me that they are living in the scrub oak (approx6.5' high @ most)not the pine treees; cause the first point for roosting in trees is over well 30'!)

Uncle and DH will get together 2moro night and see how many they can catch (I'm hoping for 3-4). We have till Sunday to catch my "limit" (cause school starts back Mon.)
I will keep you posted on how it all works out...may even bring my video camera...lol. Should be a funny sight!
clap.gif

But I need this info ASAP...Uncle says if all goes okay but only catch 1-2, we can bring crate back and he'll collect the rest. What type of feed should I send cause I won't be able to go back till Friday? And should a hen lay an egg after I get them home, how long will these eggs be fertile? If the hen is broody, I'm thinking of letting her hatch her eggs.

Comments...Concerns?

Last edited:
If you go at night then it really shouldn't be hard to catch them. They don't generally "run away" in the dark as they can't see well.

If you don't have any chickens now, there is no need to quarantine them. When you quarantine new birds, it's to protect your existing ones from any illnesses that the newcomers my have.
wink.png

I would worm the chickens A.S.A.P. to be certain they are worm free. You could use a wormer such as Ivermectin or Ivomec that would kill both internal and external parasites just incase the birds have lice or mites, which I'm betting they do as well as worms. Those are the main things you need to treat for at first. Be sure to watch and listen to them the next several days to make sure they are healthy. Any raspy sounds or excessive sneezing could indicate health issues that might need attention.

Good luck and have fun catching your new flock! Oh! I almost forgot to mention that I would try to catch at least 5.
big_smile.png

No chickens yet.....So after they catch 1 the others won't scram...making it hard to catch more? And why 5? I really only watnted 4 due to the "Urban" factor.

And fertility?

Last edited:
yuckyuck.gif
...............lol

I will post pics if I can figure out how to do it....I can't even upload an avatar...says file too large.

You might not ever get them really tame and friendly - but perhaps you can let them hatch out some babies, and can start out with them from scratch (no pun intended
big_smile.png
)

Chickens can't see in the dark so they don't generally leave the place they are roosting in. I've never tried to catch wild ones though, so that might be a bit different. Just saying that they don't normally move around much at night.

I just threw the #5 out because it was a good number. Two or three just isn't enough.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom