Chickens were Hurricane Victims too!

La.Mad-House :

So what kind of food should I have on hand?

Layer crumbles or a generaly poultry feed, they'll feel so spoiled!
big_smile.png

Are you going to get a rooster as well or just hens? If you don't get a rooster, and want to hatch some eggs, you will need to get on it right away - the eggs will still be fertile for a few days if they don't stop laying after being caught. Some chickens will stop laying for a few days or so.

If all else fails, get an incubator and go egg hunting.
big_smile.png

i'd say to give them a few days of feeding them treats to see who is not afraid of you. those would be the best ladies to be bringing home to your new coop. they will eventually associate you with being the bringer of food and sustenance and cozy up to you touching and hand feeding them.

do you happen to have a few pictures of the flock all together? maybe we could help you pick out a few that would be good based off of your wants/needs for eggs or family life.

La.Mad-House :

So what kind of food should I have on hand?

Maybe it would be best to start with a game bird feed then work them into a layer feed. I don't know if that would be the best or not, just throwing it out there because that's what I'd probably do.​

...I will post pics if I can figure out how to do it....I can't even upload an avatar...says file too large.

resize it to 600 x 800, I think.

And feed... lay pellets plus whatever you want to add... wild bird mix, game bird mix, sunflower seed. Scratch grains are a good treat to get them to know good things come from human things; feed separately-if it's mixed in, mine dig out all the rest on the ground til they get it all.
And fruit is a good treat as well as source of vitamins etc. There are probably tons of threads here on feed. Apple cider vinegar in the water is good too.
Health food stores often have nice boxes of trimmings from, their produce section, available at the back door. Ask first though, in case it's saved for someone else.

Good luck!​

No...roo was not in the plan...just wondered how long eggs might be fertile after getting them home. So if they don't lay due to stress for more than 3 days, chances are they will not hatch?

I have to agree with Joe Bryant. It would be a test by fire for you. The wild bunch are set in their ways and by the time you make friends with some(if you do) you're very likely to sour on chickens for life. It's not worth the "free" part nor the "rescue poor chickens" part. They sound like they are doing just fine on their own.

Whereas if you start with domesticated birds - or young hatchlings, you gradually get used to having chickens. Hopefully without all the chaos of trapping, catching, relocating etc. If you wait till spring you can have living arrangements in place for them, coop, run etc. Now you'd be slapping things together besides the miriad of problems of not knowing what to do with them and how they will react.

Take the time to study up on this forum and ease yourself into having chickens - much less stress - much more enjoyment.

Drum & Joe...Coop and run are already up and waiting for hens...just a few minor things to add...a roost, dustbath, & ummmm?That's it....
I've been checking info out on this site for over a month...I admit...originaly concerned about the "wild" factor but feeling better about this thanks to all you friendly folk! Besides...I can't get those domestic birds for another 3 mos. If these birds don't work out, I might just have chicken in the freezer.

Keep the info coming....Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Quote:
Why? They must be healthy if they have lasted that long out there. Go for it and good luck!!!

I agree, all the weaker birds have been weeded out already.

Back
Top Bottom