Chickens were killed by neighbors dog...question *UPDATE*

Thanks everyone for the replies and the welcome! My first thought was $10 per bird plus the hatching eggs. The chickens were in a run (dog kennel wrapped in chicken wire). We only let them out in the yard when we are home and out working in the yard for this very reason. We don't have a fenced in yard and I don't trust our own dogs if they were to get out of the house unexpectedly while the hens were out. Other peoples dogs are always running the neighborhood which I find highly annoying for so many reasons. We have had the chickens in the run for almost a year without any problems or even evidence of problems. My husband was at work and I took the kids to movies, shortly after we got home a white husky that I had never seen before was on our porch looking into the front door. I went out and called the number on his tag which was the number to the foster person in PA from before the dog was adotped (we are in WV). Long story short the owner called saying he was out of town but his son in law would be by to get the dog. I kept him in a spare dog kennel until he got there. Later, when I went out to lock the hens in the coop I saw they were all dead. My husband came out and he found where the dog had dug under the run and then got up into the coop. He drug 2 of them out into the bushes behind the coop. We found tufts of white dog fur on the fencing and in the opening of the coop that matched that of the husky. The owner feels horrible, they have only had the dog a week. I don't blame the dog at all....dogs do what dogs do, but the owner needs to be held accountable and the dog needs to confined better. We still have 3 chicks that we just recently got. They are in a set up on our porch. I am afraid the dog will get out again and find his way back here. We have 6 cats and 3 dogs of our own so I am really hesitant to bring them in the house.

Quote:
I agree. That is where I got the $20 figure from.
smile.png

Quote:
smile.png

x2 on $20 each. Sorry for your loss.
hugs.gif
You are a better person than me, my 40 cal takes care of any dangerous predators on my land, including dogs. But I also live on 13 acres in the woods with very few neighbors.
idunno.gif

welcome-byc.gif
Welcome from NC, under sad circumstances.

My neighbors dog come over and killed several of my chickens while we were outside and she also felt horrible. She offered to pay for the chickens. They were JUST about ready to lay (6 months old) and my ONLY splash orps I had...all dead. 6 in total. I asked for very little from her and she gave me more then what I asked for which in reality was not even close to what I had spent on them already. BUT I wanted to keep peace with her and stay friends so I was ok with that amount. She in return has kept her dog in her yard now for the past three years we have not seen him ONCE
big_smile.png
My flock all free range and never had a problem since then. It's well worth the little I asked for jsut for her keeping her dog in her yard
big_smile.png
BUT I do agree...20 per hen is a good price but still very low considering. It's up to you really what you feel you should get. Good luck! And hope your other babies stay safe!

Quote:
smile.png

x2 on $20 each. Sorry for your loss.
hugs.gif
You are a better person than me, my 40 cal takes care of any dangerous predators on my land, including dogs. But I also live on 13 acres in the woods with very few neighbors.
idunno.gif

welcome-byc.gif
Welcome from NC, under sad circumstances.

Trust me, if my husband caught this dog in the act...there would be one less white husky in the world.

I raised 18 chicks for my boss once, up to about 10 weeks old. He paid feed store price for them, like $3.25 each (sexed pullets) and paid me $200 for growing them. His neighbor's dog killed all one afternoon, followed the trail of feathers back to his house. To my horror, he didn't charge his neighbor, but I calculated that he lost almost $300 that day (about $16/bird) Charge them as much as you can and make it very clear that the dog is not ever welcome on your property!

Sometimes your animal control will deem it a dangerous dog as well, depending on your local laws. In Arkansas I can shoot on sight for simply RUNNING livestock, doesn't even have to kill any. Get familiar with your laws. And don't be a hypocrite, keep your dogs home at all times if you have any.

Quote:
I looked into PA's laws last night after I had some casualties to either dogs or foxes, and it turns out that I can also shoot a dog on my property for running the livestock, whether or not they are killed. I could also choose to detain the animal and call animal control, who could declare it a dangerous dog. It was good to know that my knee-jerk reaction of shooting the predator would also be legal. Tala is right: definitely get familiar with your state's laws.

sadly the husky was doing what husky's do. They are excellent diggers and they dig very fast. Our dog ( a shepherd/husky mix) can jump 5 feet from a stand still and almost 6 if he's trying to catch a frisby or ball. Honestly he's more like a kangaroo.. took him to my friends place as she has chickens and I wanted to see his reaction to them... he would have loved to run them down and shake'em till they were dead. I'm trying to intro him to our chicks while they're young but really it's not likely to work. I would charge the going rate for that age bird and then for some feed and then for the grievance of having to start all over again. It is fortunate that he's willing to pay. So sorry for your loss.

Back
Top Bottom