Chickens were killed by neighbors dog...question *UPDATE*

lccreature

Hatching
9 Years
Jul 11, 2010
Hi, this is my first time posting. A dog that lives in our neigborhood killed all 10 of our chickens this afternoon while we were out. The owner was very apologetic when I confronted him about it. He offered to pay for all the chickens. How much would be a reasonable amount? We didn't pay much for them as chicks but these were egg laying chickens in their prime, plus the 12 hatching eggs we just purchased last weekend, that no longer have a broody hen to sit on them. Those we will ask for what we paid, but how much should we ask for the lose of the hens? We had 3 silkies, 3 Rhode Island Red, 2 Buff Orphingtons and 2 Americaunas. They were all about a year old.

Last edited:
I'm sorry about your loss.
hugs.gif
I don't know what you should ask, but I'm sure someone will have an idea for you. By the way
welcome-byc.gif
! Sorry it has to be about bad news. Best of luck to you.

Realistically you should take in consideration the cost of the chicken, the cost of replacement birds, feed to raise birds to laying age, and the cost of eggs lost during that time. I doubt that the dogs owners will want to hear that amount, but truthfully that is what you are out.

I'm sorry you lost your birds. $20 is the standard fee (unless they are rare breed or SQ) per chicken lost to a domestic animal.

Welcome to BYC. I wish it had been under better circumstances.

Last edited:
Quote:
I second this.....not the amount the will probably what to hear. but realistically....it is fact and what you are out in terms of the financial piece. Lost just one of our chickens today and that is heartbreaking enough....can imagine if it was more like 10! So there is not a price for the emotional piece.

I am so sorry for you loss......Andrea

One of our neighboring dogs killed over 40 of my chickens. Since I didn't catch him in the kill, I can't prove anything. He was loose and all my chickens were dead. You are lucky the owner agreed to pay you. I wouldn't settle on anything less than 15$ a bird. I have hooked up my incubator and will be starting over soon. Good luck to you.

I’d ask for the amount that it is going to cost you to replace the hens you lost with full grown hens. I don’t know what regular chickens cost but the show birds I have bought in the past cost me 20-50$ apiece. Maybe 10-15$ a bird? Could you look on craigslist or your local paper and find some pullets and see what they are charging? I usually ask 8$ a chick and 20$ for a 6mo silkie pullet… sorry about your birds.
sad.png

I am so sorry for your loss...thats aweful. We lost 2 chickens, our favorite ones, to a fox....and we were crying for like a week or two. I can't imagine having 10 of my girls killed. Good Luck to you, hang in there........
hugs.gif

welcome-byc.gif
, and what a sad time, I'm so sorry for your loss. I agree with tazcat70 that is certainly correct, more so if your going to replace them with chicks. if you wanted you could source out full grown hens and have them pay for that replacement cost. What are they doing to keep their dog at home? you certainly would not want a repeat
barnie.gif
. How did he get to them? We have not gotten our chickens yet, my husband and I have decided on the grown out tractor/run design (it will be the coop till the 8X8 is built later this summer)-but it's not started. We have already gotten a flock guardian, our standard sized donkey came from a small/medium sized farm with chickens, and pigs. So hopefully when I'm home I can allow the flock to free range. I'm finding laying hens in their 1st year from $10- to $15 each, even ones about to lay are $8.00 to $10.00 ea., That's $100 to $150.00, without the cost of picking them up from each location.

Back
Top Bottom