Chicken's wing bow bleeding and kind of infected PLEASE HELP!!

Easter eggers are ususally quite active too, and depending on the breeds used for the mix they can even be too heavy for Leghorns.

What are your reasons for keeping a rooster? Do you want him for future breeding purposes or just as pet?
For the health of your three hens it would be better to rehome him.
I just keep him as a pet.

Not familiar with that, but if it’s for wounds and doesn’t sting your own cut skin, go for it. Be generous and flush the wound clean, then bacitracin zinc ointment, or your preferred antibiotic ointment..so sorry for your bird!
edit..oh..contact lenses..well, it’s kind of a waste of it, you could just boil some water and cool it to use, but if you’re in a hurry, sure, being probably sterile it’ll flush a wound, but, well..well, if it goes in your eyes it’s probably safe for that purpose….I just wonder about any ingredients in it that might hinder healing, except since it’s for eyes it has to be mild..yeah..it’s probably fine..sorry for thinking while I type..
Totally fine! Give me as much info as you can I don't mind. Why would I need to boil water and cool it? Isn't that the same thing as just warm water? @Katanahamon

In this case it is nothing dangerous. On the contrary, the life of some roosters might be saved by it, as a good rooster pedicure can prevent a lot of serious damage to the hens that would be caused otherwise.
I guess “going out feet first” flashed through my mind for whatever reason, I’m always seeing those rooster euphemisms like “freezer camp” everywhere I look..

Totally fine! Give me as much info as you can I don't mind. Why would I need to boil water and cool it? Isn't that the same thing as just warm water? @Katanahamon
Warm water might not be sterile..mold spores and certain bacteria can survive quite high temperatures, that’s why I suggested boiled, cooled enough to touch water as a stopgap for a can of the sterile spray stuff..and warm water is usually a blend of hot water, which may be sanitized, and cold, which definitely isn’t.
edit..obviously in an emergency you would use potable tap water, but, given the choice, you should use a sterile fluid to wash a wound as the goal is not to introduce yet more badness, but to flush as much away as possible. There are three levels of clean..there’s clean, which is just visually free from obvious contaminants and dirt, then sanitized, which means bacteria, molds and viruses are so reduced as to not pose an immediate issue, then there’s sterile, which implies a process by which all microscopic life has been eliminated. Sanitized is the best you can hope for in a wound..

Last edited:
Warm water might not be sterile..mold spores and certain bacteria can survive quite high temperatures, that’s why I suggested boiled, cooled enough to touch water as a stopgap for a can of the sterile spray stuff..and warm water is usually a blend of hot water, which may be sanitized, and cold, which definitely isn’t.
Thank you so much! I will be starting right now.

If you have a plastic syringe for flushing, you can take apart, clean it and toss it in the boiling water for a minute or so to sanitize, (I’d just boil it, but some plastics are too soft to survive the boiling..not all syringes are medical grade..) then use it to flush the wound when it’s cool enough to use the water. I think Gail Damerow’s book on chicken health has a recipe for making your own saline solution, and electrolytes solution, that’s a great book to have..

Last edited:
Here’s a pic of how to make a saline wound wash..I don’t know about copyright issues, they might delete, but, I would’ve typed it out verbatim anyway, I’m sure Gail won’t mind..! These should help..I really recommend this book..

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    610.3 KB · Views: 3
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    623 KB · Views: 2
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    629.4 KB · Views: 1
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    610.5 KB · Views: 2
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    593.5 KB · Views: 3
Here’s a pic of how to make a saline wound wash..I don’t know about copyright issues, they might delete, but, I would’ve typed it out verbatim anyway, I’m sure Gail won’t mind..! These should help..I really recommend this book..
Thank you very much!! You are such a big helpful person :)

Back
Top Bottom