chicken's wing skinned to the bone

johnnyreno66

In the Brooder
Aug 1, 2018
My chicken got caught between 2 fences and one of her wings got skinned down to the bone on top. Any ideas on how to treat?
20181102_185737.jpg
20181102_185727.jpg

Hi there,
Your poor chicken is in a little bit of a rough spot! I'm sorry this happened to you and your bird. That certainly doesn't look nice.

First things, I'd cut away feathers from around the wound. They're going to have dirt and dust that carry microbes to get into the wound and infect it.

Second, I'd flush it with sterile saline. If that isn't available soap and warm water works too! I don't think hydrogen peroxide is a good idea in this situation, as it does damage to healthy tissue.
See if you can get some antibiotic ointment on that wound after cleaning and flushing it. Something without an analgesic ingredient (look on the box, make sure it DOESN'T have human pain relievers).
Consider picking up some Vetericyn antibacterial spray or blu-kote from a TSC or feed store near you. The blu-kote will sting and hurt, but I think its antibacterial and antifungal properties and ability to seal the wound are invaluable. If you're up for it, you can inject an antibiotic into her breast tissue or put it in her water to help ward off infection. I mix my own, but you can get an antibiotic suspension from a feed store.

Keep her inside inside a dog crate or plastic tote with soft bedding if you can. Keep her warm. She may not eat or drink for a day, but keep water and proteinaceous foods like boiled egg or canned tuna on offer. Remember that she's in shock and in pain.

To be honest, I am not sure if dressing the wound is going to be appropriate in this situation. Seems like it may do more harm than good, as taking it on and off to inspect the wound may stress the bird. In my experience, chickens can heal relatively quickly. Number one priority is to not let this wound get infected.

Last edited:
Hi there,
Your poor chicken is in a little bit of a rough spot! I'm sorry this happened to you and your bird. That certainly doesn't look nice.

First things, I'd cut away feathers from around the wound. They're going to have dirt and dust that carry microbes to get into the wound and infect it.

Second, I'd flush it with sterile saline. If that isn't available soap and warm water works too! I don't think hydrogen peroxide is a good idea in this situation, as it does damage to healthy tissue.
See if you can get some antibiotic ointment on that wound after cleaning and flushing it. Something without an analgesic ingredient (look on the box, make sure it DOESN'T have human pain relievers).
Consider picking up some Vetericyn antibacterial spray or blu-kote from a TSC or feed store near you. The blu-kote will sting and hurt, but I think its antibacterial and antifungal properties and ability to seal the wound are invaluable. If you're up for it, you can inject an antibiotic into her breast tissue or put it in her water to help ward off infection. I mix my own, but you can get an antibiotic suspension from a feed store.

Keep her inside inside a dog crate or plastic tote with soft bedding if you can. Keep her warm. She may not eat or drink for a day, but keep water and proteinaceous foods like boiled egg or canned tuna on offer. Remember that she's in shock and in pain.

To be honest, I am not sure if dressing the wound is going to be appropriate in this situation. Seems like it may do more harm than good, as taking it on and off to inspect the wound may stress the bird. In my experience, chickens can heal relatively quickly. Number one priority is to not let this wound get infected.
I agree with the above! I can tell you from experience that the wound will smell until it starts to really heal so keep an eye out for flies or other insects. I would also give the hen some electrolytes in her water just for extra hydration. She has to be traumatized.

Hi there,

:goodpost:

Instead of water, though I would offer electrolytes. They have salt and sugar in them, which can help fight shock and keep the poor girl better hydrated with less effort.
1 pinch salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 tbsp sweetener (honey or sugar or corn syrup. Molasses is a diuretic, so I avoid it)
2 qts water.

According to several posts and some scientific article research, the painkillers in antibiotic ointment are not going to be strong enough to hurt the bird unless she's sensitive, so you can probably use painkiller-antibiotic ointment with impunity.

If you do want to offer her some painkiller, aspirin is safe. Use 325 ml pill (normal strength) to a gallon of water, and she'll be able to drink a quart a day without hurting herself. Or you can use a baby aspirin (89 ml) in a quart of water.

Back
Top Bottom