Chickens with diarreah

Maralind1

Chirping
5 Years
Jun 25, 2014
I had 6 chickens that were about 3 years old. Recently they had diarrhea really bad that it was almost like water. I called several feed stores and texted a few Chicken Websites to see if they had any idea of what caused it and what to treat it with. To my dismay not one had an answer. I used several product for Chickens although they didn't indicate it would work for diarrhea. This AM I found one of my ladies dead. Can you give me any idea as to what could cause the diarrhea and how to treat it? Thank you in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had 6 chickens that were about 3 years old. Recently they had diarrhea really bad that it was almost like water. I called several feed stores and texted a few Chicken Websites to see if they had any idea of what caused it and what to treat it with. To my dismay not one had an answer. I used several product for Chickens although they didn't indicate it would work for diarrhea. This AM I found one of my ladies dead. Can you give me any idea as to what could cause the diarrhea and how to treat it? Thank you in advance.
I'm sorry to hear of your loss.

It's very hard to know the cause of death without further testing/examination. If you still have the body you can refrigerate it and send it to your state lab for testing.

For the remaining hens - tell us a bit more - where are you located, what's your weather like, do they lay eggs, have any problems laying, crops empty in the mornings, have you had a fecal float to check for worms, looked them over well for lice/mites, noted any bloat or fluid in the abdomen, type of food/treats they eat.

I'm sorry to hear of your loss.

It's very hard to know the cause of death without further testing/examination. If you still have the body you can refrigerate it and send it to your state lab for testing.

For the remaining hens - tell us a bit more - where are you located, what's your weather like, do they lay eggs, have any problems laying, crops empty in the mornings, have you had a fecal float to check for worms, looked them over well for lice/mites, noted any bloat or fluid in the abdomen, type of food/treats they eat.

Said right. I agree. You should check and do further examination.

Is it coccidia? Corrid also known as amprolium in the water treats that, not sure on the dosage. Sometimes if it is HOT they drink more water resulting in more watery poo. Since one died I would be on alert. The chicken chick has a good info on this stuff as well, while sending it off for testing is ideal.. you could loose all while you wait. And do please check out the website its good

Back
Top Bottom