1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chickens with ducks

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by psocks, May 10, 2009.

1. psocks

psocks New Egg

Jan 25, 2009
    Is it possible to have a duck in the coop with chickens? By duck I mean a little guy around the same age as my chicks? The duck would row up with the chickens and remain in the coop and run.

Thanks,
    Pete

2. baldie

baldie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2008
    Douglas, MA
    I have chicks and ducks together now. I let them hang outside in the day and sleep seperate at night. They get along great. [​IMG] FOrgot to mention that they are only 3 weeks old. When they are older they will be housed together. I know a few people that do it.

Last edited: May 10, 2009
  3. KareyABohr

KareyABohr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2009
    SE Iowa
    My ducks and chicks are together. WHEN they are older. Ducks seem to bully chicks and even if they don't, they splash around and make a HUGE mess which covers the chicks and tends to make them sick because the litter is perpetually wet.

I would brood them apart then when they are adults "let them have cake" and run around together.

4. tofuranch

tofuranch What Came First????

Dec 11, 2008
    I let the big ones run together...I have had bad luck with babies, the chicks get to wet

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by