chickens with guineas

steveo

Songster
12 Years
Dec 9, 2007
Poland, Maine
I have a 10 x 10 coop with 6 guineas and just added 7 chickens. The chickens are RI Reds, NH Reds and a Barred Rock. the guineas do not like the chickens and started pulling feathers out of the chickens. I put up a wire wall in the middle of the coop to separate them. It has been a week now. Should I try putting them together again, wait longer or have separate coops. I am curious how others are keeping them together.

Hi steveo....I have a nabor, he raises turkeys and guineas. A few weeks ago he put 6 chickens in the yard with them, and the guineas killed every one of them, in about 3 days.
sad.png
I have read some people keep them together, but I think they were raised together. Guineas are very territorial. Might have to keep them seperate.

I have guineas with chickens but I have always introduced juvvy guineas in with mixed ages of chickens and turkeys. I have never had any losses as a result. I do find that the guineas consider themselves top dogs, even with the turkeys. Nothing like seeing a male guinea trying to break up a tom fight, lol.

I think it is key to raise your young guineas with other birds, it is the only way they will really tolerate them in close quarters. My last groups of guineas were raises with quail, pheasant, and chickens from hatching. I have to do that due to space and because of the extended amount of time that they all have to share a coop in the winter. This winter has been mild, hasn't gotten too much colder than 0 so they have been getting some play time outside.

Last winter, it was -30 and colder by this time, resulting in the birds being cooped up from mid-November until mid-April.

My guineas were raised with chicks and turkey poults. They've all gotten along fine, although the guineas are top dogs. The free range during the day, but all roost together tightly at night.

Back
Top Bottom