chickens with hairballs?

peony07

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 13, 2009
Ferndale WA
How early do chicks start "practicing" crowing? Two of my two week chicks started something a bit strange, just today. They stop and open their beaks pretty wide but don't peep. It looks like a chick would look if she was coughing up hair balls. Or, like a rooster would look if he was practicing crowing. What is this behavior?

Sometimes they will get a bit of food caught in their throat and will do that. I always tell mine....get a drink sweetie....when I see them doing that.
smile.png
If it is a baby roo trying to crow, you will know it. When you hear someone strangling your babies, you probably have a little roo in the bunch. And they can start VERY early (a few weeks) or really late.
smile.png

They do it pretty frequently, like every minute or even less for a few minutes, then stop. Then not fr awhile. It is probably something in their little chicken throats. I hope they aren't roos, I'm too attached!

I always try to think of what it would feel like to swallow chick starter without chewing it up.....and yeah, I would probably do that too. LOL I am sure you have nothing to worry about in the roo department for now.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom