Chickens with Impacted and Sour crop

They look like they are just chillin' in the wood room. :)

I'd provide feed for them both.
Having a tsp or two in the crop first thing in the morning is not that bad.
I think I'd just treat them both with coconut oil and the monistat.
Do provide grit free choice. Wet feed, dry feed, egg...whatever they want to eat, I'd just no give scratch right now.

See that they are both drinking well.
You think I should give the one with impaction, monistat too, even though there's no sign of sour crop?

I'm offering them different options, egg, dry feed, wet feed. But today neither seem interested 😔 they both still have energy, just only play at eating. It's finally warm today so I think maybe at noon I will let them out of their cage and let them be with the others and then give them treatment tonight after they go to bed. Maybe having some normal time outside will make them feel more like eating. I don't know. They worry me

I'd let them out and see how they do.

Could they be eating while you are not around?

If I have one with an impaction, I usually treat as sour too because if the food is not moving, then eventually it will sour.

Well it's Sunday now, meaning it's been a week since I noticed them being ill.
The White one with the impaction still isn't eating anything as far as I can tell. Doesn't show any interest in any food I offer. Her crop still has the same mass of food in it. She still has energy, somehow, enough to continue fighting me everytime I give her nutridrench, which is all I'm treating her with now. I tried oil again even, but nothing has worked. She enjoys her time outside, pecking and scratching, eating little bits of grass. She still is pooping, though how is beyond me, since she hasn't eaten since Wednesday and before that, it had been three days of fast. She strains when she poops sometimes. The picture is of her poop.
I feel like a failure. Nothing I did helped her and now I'm out of options. It's hard to just give up, but it's also hard to keep forcing stuff down her throat when she hates it so much. I'm just going to let her have her time in the sun I guess. She'll let me know when she's too weak to continue and then I'll put her out of her misery.

The other one, Baby, with the sour crop, seems to be doing ok. She is eating and getting around just fine. I've been giving her miconazole since Thursday but her crop is still full and squishy. When is it supposed to go down? That's when I'll know she's getting over the yeast infection, right?

Attachments

• IMG_20230205_183835937.jpg
    IMG_20230205_183835937.jpg
    359 KB · Views: 4
I think I would leave them out with their flock, see how they do.

Check crops first thing in the morning before they eat/drink and just monitor them.
They are both moving about o.k. and don't act like anything is wrong.
Birds that are not well, don't move about like that.

Good news! It's been 10 days but just tonight, the White one's crop finally cleared 😭 I was starting to think it would never clear. I've just been giving her Nutridrench every day and oil here and there. I did watch her eat some yesterday too. She still has the same level of energy she's had through this whole ordeal. For once I'm actually hopeful that she might make a full recovery.
Baby is doing ok. I think I've fixed the Sour crop but her crop still doesn't empty like it should. I know some things are moving through her digestion though. I did an Epsom flush on her so the diarrhea right now is making her feel poorly but she's on nutridrench to help her recover. She's still eating, maybe her crop will clear soon too.
I just wanted to share the good news ❤️ it's been such a long haul

Good news! It's been 10 days but just tonight, the White one's crop finally cleared 😭 I was starting to think it would never clear. I've just been giving her Nutridrench every day and oil here and there. I did watch her eat some yesterday too. She still has the same level of energy she's had through this whole ordeal. For once I'm actually hopeful that she might make a full recovery.
Baby is doing ok. I think I've fixed the Sour crop but her crop still doesn't empty like it should. I know some things are moving through her digestion though. I did an Epsom flush on her so the diarrhea right now is making her feel poorly but she's on nutridrench to help her recover. She's still eating, maybe her crop will clear soon too.
I just wanted to share the good news ❤️ it's been such a long haul
Glad you're seeing some improvement!

Sorry if you've already been asked this, but when was the last time you dewormed your flock? A heavy worm load can slow down the digestive tract and lead to crop problems so if you think that could be a problem I'd consider deworming with safeguard or valbazen.

We're pretty much on the same timeline and issue. Today is day 8 of Monistat for my hen. Her crop is much smaller now but there's still this little bit in there that won't budge. Searching this site and all over the internet for more insight. I hope your girls recover <3

Glad you're seeing some improvement!

Sorry if you've already been asked this, but when was the last time you dewormed your flock? A heavy worm load can slow down the digestive tract and lead to crop problems so if you think that could be a problem I'd consider deworming with safeguard or valbazen.
I think I dewormed them back in the spring, but I don't think they had worms I just did it because I was worried that I should.
I do have some of the horse dewormer, so I guess I could try it.
Baby's done with her Monistat but starting to act more sick and tired. 😟 I'm not sure what to do. I'm giving her Nutridrench and hoping she'll get through it. Her crop doesn't empty but again, it's just soft stuff like layer crumble in there so the blockage must be deeper. I did the Epsom flush so I don't know if there's anything else I can do. Maybe I'll give her the wormer tomorrow, just to be sure I've covered that.
The white one is doing great, out kicking ass and scratching up the yard.
Any ideas are welcome

Back
Top Bottom