Chickens won’t roost.

Laughingduck81

Chirping
Dec 14, 2020
My chickens are 11 weeks old and not roosting. Yesterday I changed their coop around, trying to encourage roosting. They didn’t go up. Then I added a board this morning between the roost and nesting box, and put food up there to encourage them. They still sleep on the ground. Are they too young to roost? Or do I need to change something up? The coop is 4x8 and here is a pic of them all nesting on the floor. I added the cement blocks today too to help them maybe hve a way up...

Attachments

• 299FF7AA-769B-4510-B374-843DCE753AE6.jpeg
    299FF7AA-769B-4510-B374-843DCE753AE6.jpeg
    642.9 KB · Views: 49
At 11 weeks they may not be inclined to roost but they certainly can - even 2 week olds can roost if someone shows them how.

I'd drop nests to floor level, get rid of the ramp and concrete blocks, and maybe consider replacing the upside down T roost you currently have with just a bar that goes across. Then start putting them up every night at dusk until they learn to fly up themselves.

Ok thank you, I just sort of assumed it would he instinctual for them, but I will put them up at bedtime and see if that helps!

It IS instinctual but doesn't kick in at the same time for all birds. What works better is the instinct to follow the example set by a mama hen or other adult birds (so in lieu of that, you putting them on the roost is the next best thing).

My chickens are 11 weeks old and not roosting. Yesterday I changed their coop around, trying to encourage roosting. They didn’t go up. Then I added a board this morning between the roost and nesting box, and put food up there to encourage them. They still sleep on the ground. Are they too young to roost? Or do I need to change something up? The coop is 4x8 and here is a pic of them all nesting on the floor. I added the cement blocks today too to help them maybe hve a way up...
I was putting my babies up every night night after night. Now I say "get up girls and they do". Chickens are creatures of habit just instill the habit. It works. Today I had them outside quite a ways from the coop. When my feet got cold I said "let's go in the COOOOOOOPPPPP". and they did. Chickens herd better than cows. IMHO.

I agree with redoing the layout.

How many chickens do you have?
I am thinking you may need 2 roosts about 15-18 inches apart to have enough roost space.
I would love some layout ideas. I just threw this together out of what I had available at the time. I currently have 7 chickens but 2-3 are roosters and I will only keep one of them. I will have 5-6 chickens. The coop is 8x4.

This is the coop from the outside. Anyone have a similar sized coop and care to share their layout?

Attachments

• 14B8C01D-326D-4295-8BC5-02D69315F77F.jpeg
    14B8C01D-326D-4295-8BC5-02D69315F77F.jpeg
    476.7 KB · Views: 38

Back
Top Bottom