Chickens won’t stay out of the road!!!

MyISAbrownhens

Songster
6 Years
May 23, 2017
Virginia
So I have a real problem. I don’t live in an area with a busy road, but our chickens still won’t stay out of it. The coop is not very close to the road, our run is not big enough to not let them free range, we keep all their incentives to stay near their coop, and they have plenty of cover AWAY from the road. Still, they keep venturing into and across the road, with little disregard for cars and dogs walking down the road, I feel like it’s only a matter of time before they get killed. They just want to go to the other side where there is a large field with no cover, which baffles me since my whole yard is wooded and a tick heaven that they want to leave 🙄🙄 My husband really doesn’t like fencing, so if possible, I’d fence them in as a last resort. I have no idea what to do though, besides putting up a fence for cars to slow down for hens.

How old are they? When my ladies were younger they used to go everywhere I didn't want them to, lol, and I'd be out there herding them back to where I wanted them... after awhile I started locking them up in their run for a couple days if they wandered...I don't have anymore issues

How old are they? When my ladies were younger they used to go everywhere I didn't want them to, lol, and I'd be out there herding them back to where I wanted them... after awhile I started locking them up in their run for a couple days if they wandered...I don't have anymore issues
I have two old ladies who are 6, and the rest are just under a year. Unfortunately even the old ladies are going into the road as well

Back
Top Bottom