Chickens won't come out into run

Birch66724

Chirping
Jun 21, 2018
Eastern Minnesota
I have 7, 7 week old chicks, that I moved outside to their coop a week ago. They won't come down from the coop section into the run!
It does have a ranp, but they all know how to use it. ie I throw food on the ramp, they run down, eat the food, and run back up.
The weather has been nice, above 70F, cloudy.
Is this a problem? Or do they just need longer than a week to adjust?
Any suggestions are appreciated! Thanks
-Birch66724

Hi - I posted a similar question a couple of weeks ago. (One of my frustrations with backyardchickens.com is that it's very hard to find specific topics or threads.)
Anyway -- My chicks are about 10 weeks now and they hang out in the henhouse a lot (some people call that the coop) and much less time in the run. But in San Francisco it's been 50 degrees and windy, so I figure they are staying out of the wind. They have a nice roost in the run, but they use it rarely. They also spend a couple of hours in the garden every day, so they do get out.
That's to say, sorry, I don't have an answer. Just that my chicks/pullets are doing the same thing: I have five of them. They DO come down into the run; they just spend a lot of time upstairs. (up ramp) I finally decided just to not worry about it, till they start laying and then if they are crowding the henhouse that will be another story. Good luck!

Fowl of all sorts dislike change and take time to adjust to changes in their environment. This is not an uncommon behavior in prey species.

Yep, mine have their food and water in the run.
When I first opened the ramp to give them access, they did come down very quickly. However, for 2 or 3 nights I had to go out (when it got dark) and lift a little pile of chickens upstairs, until they figured out how to go up on their own.

Back
Top Bottom