Chickens WON'T Free Range??

ltctrolley

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 7, 2013
I just got 8, 20 week Barred Rocks a couple weeks ago and 3 days ago I opened the door of the pen to let them free range and they just wouldn't go outside they just lay around in the pen pecking at the ground. I am getting super frustrated because we had 5 Easter eggers that would just run out as fast as they could when I opened the door and I would just watch them for hours! I guess I'm feeling disappointed and some tips on how to get them running around outside enjoying life would be great! Or is it just the bread?
TIA
Tiffany

My brother's young chickens did the same thing. He called me all disappointed. I said the chickens were new to the outside world and they would eventually come out. Well, they did. They roam all over his yard now.

I agree with Centrachid. Just open the door
smile.png

It's day 5 now and they have zero interest in leaving to venture out still. I also find that they don't stay altogether in the pen as one flock but are scattered around the pen by themselves all awkward?

A will spread out to find food when they go foraging, so yours are just doing the spreading out in the pen. You could try to entice them put by moving the food and water just outside the door.

They're being smart chickens! They know they're at the bottom of the food chain and everyone loves a chicken dinner
wink.png
. They know it's safe in the coop/run, they don't know about that big scary place outside. It will just take time. You can toss some scratch or other treat just outside the door to entice them, but mostly it's just going to take time. One brave bird will venture out eventually, and when she doesn't get eaten by monsters, the others will gradually follow.

Why can't you put them and the food right outside the door and close the door? Sit with them for a bit scratch on the ground and dee what happens. Then in 30 mins to an hour open the door back up and see what they do.

Now they are starting to go out when I first open the door for about 30 mins then they go back in. I think they are just taking there time to adjust.

Back
Top Bottom