Chickens WON'T Free Range??

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ltctrolley, Jul 25, 2013.

1. ltctrolley

ltctrolley In the Brooder

Jul 7, 2013
    I just got 8, 20 week Barred Rocks a couple weeks ago and 3 days ago I opened the door of the pen to let them free range and they just wouldn't go outside they just lay around in the pen pecking at the ground. I am getting super frustrated because we had 5 Easter eggers that would just run out as fast as they could when I opened the door and I would just watch them for hours! I guess I'm feeling disappointed and some tips on how to get them running around outside enjoying life would be great! Or is it just the bread?
    TIA
    Tiffany

2. centrarchid

centrarchid Free Ranging

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Let the door open and walk away. They will eventually come out.

3. mondotomhead

mondotomhead Songster

Sep 22, 2011
    Sturbridge
    My brother's young chickens did the same thing. He called me all disappointed. I said the chickens were new to the outside world and they would eventually come out. Well, they did. They roam all over his yard now.

I agree with Centrachid. Just open the door [​IMG]

4. americaunus

americaunus In the Brooder

Oct 19, 2012
    +1

It is hard to get them to go in now.

5. ltctrolley

Jul 7, 2013
    It's day 5 now and they have zero interest in leaving to venture out still. I also find that they don't stay altogether in the pen as one flock but are scattered around the pen by themselves all awkward?

6. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Songster

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    A will spread out to find food when they go foraging, so yours are just doing the spreading out in the pen. You could try to entice them put by moving the food and water just outside the door.

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    They're being smart chickens! They know they're at the bottom of the food chain and everyone loves a chicken dinner [​IMG]. They know it's safe in the coop/run, they don't know about that big scary place outside. It will just take time. You can toss some scratch or other treat just outside the door to entice them, but mostly it's just going to take time. One brave bird will venture out eventually, and when she doesn't get eaten by monsters, the others will gradually follow.

8. kaybee123

kaybee123 Songster

Feb 16, 2013
    Why can't you put them and the food right outside the door and close the door? Sit with them for a bit scratch on the ground and dee what happens. Then in 30 mins to an hour open the door back up and see what they do.

9. evabella

evabella Hatching

Apr 30, 2013
    I agree with mondotomhead she really knows her stuff when it comes to chickens!!!!!

10. ltctrolley

Jul 7, 2013
    Now they are starting to go out when I first open the door for about 30 mins then they go back in. I think they are just taking there time to adjust.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: