Chickens won't leave roost after an attack...

mountainbunny

Songster
May 26, 2016
Central Arkansas
Long story short, after unsuccessfully trying to re-home my four hens because I don't have enough time home to give them the level of care I desire, I decided to free range them everyday. A few weeks ago I got brave and just let them out dawn to dusk. They've been VERY happy with this and put themselves to bed. I just close the door at night. So about 5 days ago I was awakened by loud panic calls from the girls. Ran outside to find a neighbor's dog eating one of my baared rocks. It was way too late to save her. I ran to the coop to find one of my girls safely hiding in the roost the other two were missing but came home safe by nightfall. Ok that was supposed to be a short story! Anyway, I've kept them locked up since and they won't even come down from their enclosed roost, except to eat drink. I want them out free Ranging again even though I know the hazards, my coop is tiny and I feel bad keeping them locked up all the time (this is why I was trying to to re-home them). I guess I should just let them be and come out when they ready.

I'm going to go out in just a bit and coax them out with some treats. My husband forcefully chased the dog off and he hasn't been back. I don't want to hurt an animal but I'll admit I've had fanatasies of smacking the c*** out of the dog. I'm not even going to address it with the neighbor as so mant people out here (very rural country) don't confine their dogs.... Plus I accepted the risks when I decided free ranging was better for them and me.Im still trying to re-home them.

I installed several motion lights around ours... Christmas lights in the run and use repellall if I suspect there has been critter out there. And we have the ultimate alarm. Our female dog (who I'm pretty sure is secretly a dingo) goes bat poop crazy if theres anything in the yard. Deer, fox, coon, oppsum... shes not bias shes hates them all.

I would tell the neighbors to keep their dogs on their own property unless they are willing to lose them. Expecting a loss or two every now and then from a fox or coyote is one thing but dogs should never be a concern.

It won't do any good to talk to them. The other neighbors are their family and they can't get through to them. I will scare the living s*** out of that dog if it comes near hear again. If that doesn't work then maybe SSS. I don't like hurting animsls, but they've already been warned by their own family to contain their dogs.

I have actually been trying to re-home them for about two months. I finally got them rehomed today. I loved my chickens and learned so much from them in the past two and a half years but I dont have the time I want to properly care for them and want them to have a safe and happy life.

Back
Top Bottom