Chickens won't roost

JSReams

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 7, 2013
Hi,

I am having a problem getting my chickens, who just turned a year old, to roost. All of a sudden, they snuggle up to each other on the ground and refuse to roost. I'm not sure what the problem is!

welcome-byc.gif
Check your roosts to assure that they have not become infested with red mites. Unless they have been disturbed in some fashion, it is very unusual for chickens to stop using their roosts.

my first questions are...
are they in a coop at night? maybe something happened that scared them & they're thinking there's danger on the roost.
has the roost become insecure in some way so that it's not able to carry their weight?
is your roost too high & they have gained enough weight that they are not able to get up there anymore?
has a draft suddenly developed somehow?

let us know how it works out & how you fixed the problem

Have they been roosting up to this point? I recently bought some Partridge Rock hens and at roughly 9 months, they have no inclination to roost at night. They sleep in a pile and they like it that way. They roost during the day, but in the dark they snuggle!

Only one of my hens have been roosting up until now. They're all 9 months, and sleep in a pile in a corner of the coop - even though they have both high and low roosts. I think it's kind of adorable - the smallest hens are lowest, then the bigger hens on top of them, and our four rooster on top of them again. So cute! My little bantam kochin hen prefers to roost though, so she does that and the others sleep on the floor. Weird chickens.

Yeah, same problem here. 3 RSL and they will double up in one nest box and leave the odd girl to her own nest box. I put them onthe roost perch the first night, think I may have to put in a lower one too though,

John
D.gif

Yes, they are in a coop. It has warmed up here in Kentucky significantly in the last couple of weeks. Because of this, I opened a small window inside their coop to improve ventilation. When I did that, I first started noticing the problem- perhaps that was what caused it. I'll close that and see how things go!

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Last edited:
I have the same thing going on with my "flock" (2 sexlinks and 1 Buff Orpington laying, 1 Buff pullet). Just acquired them two weeks ago today. The first night they roosted on the wooden closet rod provided. Then I added sand on the floor of the coop and they prefer to stay in the sand.

A suggestion was made to change the rod to a 2x4, laid horizontally, which I did, but they still prefer the sand.

I don't mind, but I am just learning chicken behavior and want to be sure I am doing things properly.

Otherwise, life is good!

My chickens have only been in the coop for less than a week, but they only used the roosting bars when I put them up there. Seems they like their little chicken pile a lot better. 29 chickens all in one very warm heap!
hugs.gif
All snuggled up! I don't know if there is any reason why they shouldn't be on the floor, but they really do look adorable in their chicken pile.

Back
Top Bottom