Chickens won't use ramp to nesting boxes

Harmoni

Songster
Jan 20, 2021
Central Florida
We just finished the majority of our coop. Both hens have laid eggs on the floor and can't seem to get up the ramp. How steep is too steep? I need some dimension ideas. My husband tried to recycle a bifold closest door but they can't get up that at all.

Attachments

• 20210207_180113_HDR.jpg
    20210207_180113_HDR.jpg
    561.7 KB · Views: 86
  • 20210207_180119_HDR.jpg
    20210207_180119_HDR.jpg
    455.1 KB · Views: 39
  • 20210207_180129_HDR.jpg
    20210207_180129_HDR.jpg
    353 KB · Views: 37
Hard to tell angle but if it's around 45 degrees (or more) it's likely too steep.

I'd consider removing the ramp, actually. There's a good landing lip in front of the boxes and they're not high up, so the chickens should easily be able to jump up there if given the clearance to do so.

Is the ladder thing on the right the roost? Do they all use it? Only asking because if that's the roost it's very low compared to nests.

Hard to tell angle but if it's around 45 degrees (or more) it's likely too steep.

I'd consider removing the ramp, actually. There's a good landing lip in front of the boxes and they're not high up, so the chickens should easily be able to jump up there if given the clearance to do so.

Is the ladder thing on the right the roost? Do they all use it? Only asking because if that's the roost it's very low compared to nests.
The ladder is the roost. The nesting boxes are 32 inches up. Last night was there first night in there and one of them used the second to lowest rung of the roost. Which is about 4 inches off the ground.

32" up should be ok as long as you don't have breeds that can't/are too heavy to fly/leap well.

Bigger question is, are they even aware the nests are up there? Have you seen any evidence of exploration, i.e. kicked around bedding?
They are RIRs and eventually the 2 red comets will go in there too.
We tried to lure them up there with seeds but they wouldn't go up.

I would add more cross pieces so they can get a good foot hold and not slide. Then make a trail of scratch grain up the ramp. Also put some grain in front of the boxes just to get them up there to check it out. Do you have fake eggs or golf balls in the new nest boxes?

I would add more cross pieces so they can get a good foot hold and not slide. Then make a trail of scratch grain up the ramp. Also put some grain in front of the boxes just to get them up there to check it out. Do you have fake eggs or golf balls in the new nest boxes?
We put the 2 eggs they laid on the floor in the nesting boxes.

If the ladder is to steep you could put a few stones underneath. But I don’t think that is the main problem ...
Roosts should be higher from the ground then the nesting boxes.
The top rung of the roost is level with the nesting box platform but they have yet to go up there.

Attachments

• 20210207_183231.jpg
    20210207_183231.jpg
    534.4 KB · Views: 40

Back
Top Bottom