Chickens won't use roosts

It's all fine, actually. Different family groups will stick together, sometimes for a long time. And I think your roosts are fine too. If you had huge Jersey Giants or Brahmas, some lower roosts would be good, but you do have lower roosts anyway.
It's about status, family groups, and the time it takes your younger birds to fit in better.
The only thing that might help a bit is to block access to the nest boxes, and then only if you get out there early every morning to open them up first thing.
Otherwise, see how they do in another month or three.
My youngsters are doing many of the same things right now, and over time, they will do better.
You can try to place the roosting birds in more appropriate locations at night for a few days, and see it that helps.
Mary

I feel like people are not understanding my question AT ALL. How do I delete this thread?

If you want the thread deleted, look at one of your own posts and click "report." A box should pop up, letting you type something--say you want it deleted, and why. That sends a message to a moderator, who is able to delete the whole thread. Or you could ask them to lock the thread (no new posts, but old ones still visible) if you might want to re-read posts later but do not want any more new advice.

To address the questions in your original post:
Should I add more roosts? where?

I suspect that more roosts would make no difference, and I'm not sure where to add them.

For whatever reason, your chickens have all decided that particular roost is best. If you take it out, they would have to choose a different roost to use. If you leave it there, but add an even "better" roost, they will probably all move to the better one.

I don't know exactly what makes one better than another for chickens.
Often it's the highest one, but it could be the one with the best ventilation, the one in the most sheltered place, the one with the best view, the one that is new and exciting, the one that is old and familiar, the one that everybody else wants, the one with a different texture or shape or size, or some other reason that I haven't thought of. Chickens are confusing that way.

I think they don't like to sleep over a poop board, and they don't like to have a ladder next to them.

You might be right.

Two chickens keep getting pushed off that roost so they sleep in the nest boxes instead of going to the other roosts.

You could go out after dark and put them on one of the other roosts. Sometimes they will get the point after a few nights and start sleeping on the other roost by themselves. (And sometimes they won't, but it might be worth trying.)

Roost over door is the only one they are using. The bunk bed has rails and ladders that can be used as lower roosts, but they won't use them. I feel like people are not understanding my question AT ALL. How do I delete this thread?
Just trying to see all the options...there is not always an instant answer solution.
They are using the high roost because that's what chickens do, roost as high as possible.
You can decide where they roost by where you have roosts.

It's about status, family groups, and the time it takes your younger birds to fit in better.
This pretty much sums up what's going on.
The younger group(s) are going to try to roost away from the olders, because the older demand it.

Just trying to see all the options...there is not always an instant answer solution.
They are using the high roost because that's what chickens do, roost as high as possible.
You can decide where they roost by where you have roosts.

This pretty much sums up what's going on.
The younger group(s) are going to try to roost away from the olders, because the older demand it.
OK... I thought I could just add a 2x4 somewhere easy. I am not a carpenter and I don't have a truck so it's really hard to just take things apart and rebuild. I know a lot of people here can build a coop in a weekend but that is not me. The "cardboard cabinets" are actually made out of tempered plywood. I even got cabinet hinges and latches but couldn't mount anything straight. They were supposed to look like kitchen cabinets but they came out looking like junk. So that is how bad my construction skills are.

OK... I thought I could just add a 2x4 somewhere easy. I am not a carpenter and I don't have a truck so it's really hard to just take things apart and rebuild.
YO mightnot need to add one.
Who put the roost way up high?

Still want to see the "Poop board/shelf".
That shed looks like it has great potential, but would take some rework.
Roost over door is way too high, IMO.

Is the area over the nests open or a solid 'shelf'?

Pics show the blue circles, but not the red one.
View attachment 2420855

OK... I thought I could just add a 2x4 somewhere easy. I am not a carpenter and I don't have a truck so it's really hard to just take things apart and rebuild. I know a lot of people here can build a coop in a weekend but that is not me. The "cardboard cabinets" are actually made out of tempered plywood. I even got cabinet hinges and latches but couldn't mount anything straight. They were supposed to look like kitchen cabinets but they came out looking like junk. So that is how bad my construction skills are.

My construction skills are abysmal...but, I've made wind/snow protectors for the sides of my run. They may look like crud and took me way longer than it would take someone else, but they are done, by me and they work. Don't knock your skills to much...you did try and the look functional, thus are a success. :celebrate

YO mightnot need to add one.
Who put the roost way up high?

Still want to see the "Poop board/shelf".
The roost was an overhead shelf built into the shed. I took the plywood off the top so it is just the frame of the shelf for the roost.

This is the other "Poop board/shelf" on the opposite side of the door roost. I added the 2x4 and the "ladder". This roost is about 18 inches higher than the roost they are using now, but they have a phobia of ladders and poop boards so they don't use it.
IMG_0776.JPG

Could the ladder make them feel like predators could just climb up to them? Maybe remove the ladder? (I didnt actually look at your pics so if it's not removable, disregard). I dont use a poop board so I cant comment on that. Is there any way to make the roost that they do like just slightly longer so they all fit? You could basically just screw another piece of wood to it to make it longer. If you overlap the new piece with the old piece a lot (doubling up most of it with some extra hanging off the end), you shouldnt even need to brace the new piece because the support for the old piece will handle it. So itd just be a board and a few screws.

I LOVE that you are using litter boxes as nest boxes! I've literally never seen that before but it seems so logical.

Also using the empty space between the 2x4 is brilliant and the kind of critical thinking that leads to good construction ability. You can learn how to properly do all the construction techniques way easier than you can learn creativity haha. You'll get it.

Could the ladder make them feel like predators could just climb up to them? Maybe remove the ladder? (I didnt actually look at your pics so if it's not removable, disregard). I dont use a poop board so I cant comment on that. Is there any way to make the roost that they do like just slightly longer so they all fit? You could basically just screw another piece of wood to it to make it longer. If you overlap the new piece with the old piece a lot (doubling up most of it with some extra hanging off the end), you shouldnt even need to brace the new piece because the support for the old piece will handle it. So itd just be a board and a few screws.

I LOVE that you are using litter boxes as nest boxes! I've literally never seen that before but it seems so logical.
Thank you! I couldn't figure out how to attach the ladder to the wall... so I glued it! lol, not good.

I think about maybe overlapping extensions on the current roost, but coming out sideways like square to the wall. Or even coming out at random angles. Corners might make it harder for the big chickens to push the younger ones off. maybe...

Back
Top Bottom