Chickens won't use roosts

Depending on what glue you used, you could maybe pull it off, use a pry bar, or saw the glued bits (put the saw in between ladder and wall and saw at the glued part)

but if it doesnt come off easily, I'd try the other ideas first haha.

next time use screws. screws are GREAT because you can undo them easily if you mess up or change your mind.

and remember, your chickens dont care if it's pretty. they just care if its functional. stuff looking nice if for YOU so if you dont care how it looks, it doesnt matter.

The roost was an overhead shelf built into the shed. I took the plywood off the top so it is just the frame of the shelf for the roost.

This is the other "Poop board/shelf" on the opposite side of the door roost. I added the 2x4 and the "ladder". This roost is about 18 inches higher than the roost they are using now, but they have a phobia of ladders and poop boards so they don't use it.
View attachment 2423514
Man, that looks like it's up high....and what's underneath it, some kind of other room or closet?
I'd love to help you reconfigure this building....but hard to help when I can't see the whole thing.

Man, that looks like it's up high....and what's underneath it, some kind of other room or closet?
I'd love to help you reconfigure this building....but hard to help when I can't see the whole thing.
step 1: set up 360 degrees of security camera view
step 2: give aart access
never have to answer any questions again
;p

It's a storage loft. I have a lot of personal stuff up there for storage and I wanted to crop my clutter out of the picture. We are still moving in so everything is a work in progress. The building looks like this shed (but with different windows, and a dividing wall) https://www.tuffshed.com/products/#/details/Premier Tall Barn

I envisioned that the chicken coop would look like a hamster habitat, with multiple platforms and levels.

We don't care 'bout no clutter :gig but you may have reason not to show it.
Would be good to keep the clutter not accessible by the birds,
or you know what it will get covered in.

I envisioned that the chicken coop would look like a hamster habitat, with multiple platforms and levels.
Kinda, but, not quite.
I like to keep the roosts all one level, at a height where I can reach the birds easily for exams at night, with at least one a bit lower for new birds.

Here's my thoughts about heights:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/coop-stack-up-how-high-stuff-works-well.73427/

My coop space is 6x16 in a 16x16 shed.
West end:
full

East end:
full

We don't care 'bout no clutter :gig but you may have reason not to show it.
Would be good to keep the clutter not accessible by the birds,
or you know what it will get covered in.

Kinda, but, not quite.
I like to keep the roosts all one level, at a height where I can reach the birds easily for exams at night, with at least one a bit lower for new birds.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/coop-stack-up-how-high-stuff-works-well.73427/

West end:
full

East end:
full
what's the other 10x16? just a normal shed?

what's the other 10x16? just a normal shed?
Yep.
Shed was there when I bought the place, it's been used for many things over the years.
I limited the coop to 6' so I could still access the upper windows with the extension ladder.
That extra space has been very handy for storing chicken stuff, exams,
especially in the winter.
More pics here.
1606318754935.png

1606318815622.png

Yep.
Shed was there when I bought the place, it's been used for many things over the years.
I limited the coop to 6' so I could still access the upper windows with the extension ladder.
That extra space has been very handy for storing chicken stuff, exams,
especially in the winter.
More pics here.
View attachment 2424758

View attachment 2424760
I imagined you meant school exams at first LOL.

I just bring the sickies in the house and they take over the kitchen. One time I called on a Friday about a dead bird that I couldnt send off for necropsy til Monday bc the lab isnt open on weekends and the ... guy, idk what his title would be... said if I had a separate fridge to put it in over the weekend, it'd be fine. yeah, a separate fridge. definitely not just the kitchen fridge next to all our food. :oops:

Sounds like I have almost the same space as you. My shed is smaller but the chickens got the bigger half.

Why don't people use more vertical space in chicken coops? Chickens are only 18 inches tall. You could triple the floor space in an 8 foot tall shed.

chickens starting to spread out and roost on the bunk bed now. One hen came out this morning with poop all over her neck. maybe that is why roosts have to all be the same height.

Back
Top Bottom