Chickens Yay or Nay?

ChickensYayorNay

In the Brooder
Jul 21, 2021
As my name would suggest, I'm debating chickens. I'm sure everyone on here will say yes, but I need to do some research first before taking the plunge and figured this was a good starting point.

I live in MN on 36 acres (28 acres is a private lake) with my husband and our 9 year old Chesapeake Bay Retriever, Kali.

I also have a horse, 22 year old APHA mare named Farah that I have had since she was 2. She is fully retired now due to arthritis.

Welcome!
I hope you decide to get chickens ❤️🐓
They are the best! Such an enjoyable hobby/job to do everyday.

They are sociable, entertaining, and have such amazing personalities!

You can order chicks or started pullets (girl teenager chickens😜) from many hatcheries, or you could look locally.

Hope you get some chickens!

Last edited by a moderator:
:welcome

Hello, chickens may or may not be for you, that's something you'll have to decide. As with any other animal, there are pros and cons. For example, a pro is their delicious eggs and a con is there are few vets willing to treat an injured or ill chicken (from my experience). They do take care and it can be an expense especially starting out, but for some, having a flock is very rewarding.

We have actually had 4 hatches of wild ducks this summer so far - 2 Mallards and 2 Wood Ducks. First year that many have survived. Between snapping turtles, Eagles, hawks and some weasels, they don't normally survive very long. But this has been a good year! I think starting with just chickens is my best bet for now. Maybe. Probably. We'll see...

Back
Top Bottom