Grey Gables

Songster
Dec 30, 2019
Ohio
Hi!

Since I'm new to chickens, I figure it would be fun to chronicle my journey. :) I mentioned this in my introduction post, but I have been planning on getting chicks for over a year now. Over the last year, I've read up on all kinds of things, hopefully better preparing myself for this endeavor! I've been building my chicken first aid kit and researching what works and doesn't work for people (bedding, coop designs, runs, feeders, waterers, etc). A little overkill, yes, but that's how I roll. I ended up designing my coop and run myself, and it's currently being built.

My chicks hatched Friday (2/21/20) and I picked them up Saturday (2/22/20). I was initially getting a Rhode Island Red, Black Australorp, Easter Egger, and a Lavender Orpington but the Orpingtons didn't hatch well so the breeder substituted a Blue Cochin. I was a little bummed at first, but now I'm so glad it worked out this way because the little Blue Cochin is my absolute favorite. She's so sweet and loves to be held. When I put my hand down flat, she climbs into my hand.

The car trip home. Less than a day old here!
full
full
full

Now to unveil my inner dork (although you may have picked up on the dork factor when I mentioned I prepared for chicks for a year)... I know most people pick their chickens based on egg color, or maybe because they want a cool looking breed. I decided at some point I wanted to use an Anne of Green Gables theme and name all my chicks after characters from the books/movies. So I picked my chicken breeds based on how I thought they matched up with the names I wanted to use, ha. 🤓

Little Marilla, the first day we got the chicks.
full

Anne = Rhode Island Red
Diana = Black Australorp
Ruby = Easter Egger
Marilla = Blue Cochin

And they will live in a grey coop, hence my BYC name, Grey Gables.

Our coop isn't ready yet, so that will be unveiled another time. But I can share our brooder set up. Luckily my husband is pretty handy and he built our brooder. I gave him some parameters and ideas and he did the rest.

Here it is while being built.
full

Added hardware and the wire mesh.
full

Playing with the set up inside.
full

I am using two Blink XT2 cameras in my brooder to monitor my chicks while at work (and because I can't get enough of their cuteness). I also have a thermometer to keep tabs on the temperature. For whatever reason, mine is in Celsius even though I know I ordered a Fahrenheit. I ended up lining the floor with puppy pee pads and paper towels (for now). Will switch over to pine shavings soon. The chicks are crazy smart and figured out how to stay warm, how to eat (and make a massive mess) and how to use the nipple on the waterer. I am waiting until they're a little older to put the roosting bars in. I'm currently exploring options to help decrease the amount of wasted feed, so that will be this weekend's project.

full

full

The past five days have been so fun. I thought I'd be crazy nervous the whole time, but after the first two days, I think I calmed down and am fully enjoying my little chicks. The cameras help with that, I think. Once the chicks move out to their coop, the cameras will go outside as well. I'm handling the chicks several times a day and have noticed them getting more familiar with me and with being held. Fingers crossed my girls will be friendly chickens! Also, I knew (and have read) that chicks/chickens poop a lot. But wow, I was still shocked by the amount of poop they can produce!

Vivian watching over the chicks, definitely not thinking about eating them.
full

Back
Top Bottom