Chickenstock fiesta yardsale August 21

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Oh, man, how awful! We often leave a light on, and a radio playing. The only times predators got anythng was when we had our ducks in the marsh---way away from the house, and the yard-light on the telephone pole points the other way from the marsh. Ducks are in the back yard, near my chickens, and so far nothing bothered anything. Of course, i shut my chickens in the coop at night, and the ducks are now in a wire-covered pen. We recently set up a light in the duck pen---it's actually landscape lighting, low to the ground, it attracts bugs and moths for them to eat! I think it also would keep predators away. The light is also on a dusk to dawn timer---comes on automatically, so i don't forget it.
smile.png

Quote:
Oh, man, how awful! We often leave a light on, and a radio playing. The only times predators got anythng was when we had our ducks in the marsh---way away from the house, and the yard-light on the telephone pole points the other way from the marsh. Ducks are in the back yard, near my chickens, and so far nothing bothered anything. Of course, i shut my chickens in the coop at night, and the ducks are now in a wire-covered pen. We recently set up a light in the duck pen---it's actually landscape lighting, low to the ground, it attracts bugs and moths for them to eat! I think it also would keep predators away. The light is also on a dusk to dawn timer---comes on automatically, so i don't forget it.
smile.png

I have been loosing chickens to a daytime predator. We found a feather pile of the gray mom hen and otherwise no bodies. One morning when I went outside there was an aweful strong musk smell like a ferret has. My BIL says he has seen a fisher the last few days and he lives around the corner from me. But what would come into my yard in the daylight and take them off? I am talking that these were taken from practically my front steps cause they hang out in the bushes along the house front. So whatever it is is very brazen!

Quote:
If they have young ones to feed even the nighttime critters will hunt during the day. Years ago I lost 4 hens at once to a fox at noon. Found out later she had 6 babies to feed.

Quote:
smile.png

I have been loosing chickens to a daytime predator. We found a feather pile of the gray mom hen and otherwise no bodies. One morning when I went outside there was an aweful strong musk smell like a ferret has. My BIL says he has seen a fisher the last few days and he lives around the corner from me. But what would come into my yard in the daylight and take them off? I am talking that these were taken from practically my front steps cause they hang out in the bushes along the house front. So whatever it is is very brazen!

Im not sure if you already went over this but it sounds like a bird of prey. They will take the whole body and leave a pile a feathers from impact. A few years ago when i raised game bantams a hawk took one and it just left a small pile of feathers.
Best of luck to you.
Mark

Quote:
If they have young ones to feed even the nighttime critters will hunt during the day. Years ago I lost 4 hens at once to a fox at noon. Found out later she had 6 babies to feed.

ep.gif

Quote:

ep.gif

Fishers are mainly nocturnal. I have one around the house we hear at night. What a sound! The babies would all be grown now.
It sounds like a hawk, that's what they leave...a pile of feathers where they struck & no body. I've had more than my share. Usually the crows drive them off but now the crows are gone:((

Quote:
smile.png

Yea i am thinking on getting those solar lights for around the whole eraea, liek you said may a bit, i belive the main light has been keeping them away till that one night it was off.
we made sure it was on last night and we had NO issues. So we are going to set up 2 more regulare lights, one pointing neer the corn teh other pointing towards the corner of woods.

So for the raffle i have
Incubator (used) but works
Hatching eggs
Egg layer feed 25 pd bag
little basket of back to school items
rooster item - being donated
and few other things.

I will be bringing :
2 cute and sweet black bantam Cochin x boy chicks- FREE
1 3 month old tiny,tiny sweet and tame Serama cockerel- FREE
1 bantam Americauna cockerel 3 months and his buddy 1 bantam barred cochin x frizzle 3 month old cockerel- both FREE
1 standard sized handsome Americauna- likes to be the boss of the flock- deep red with black beard- FREE
1 standard brown Leghorn 2 month old Cockerel- FREE
4 white standard Leghorn pullets 2 months old- $8 each

Will bring if someone is interested :
1 bantam Barred Rock cockerel- $5
1 bantam tiny Nankin rooster- sweet, gets along with all the flock, quiet $5

Tammie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom