Chickenstock fiesta yardsale August 21

Status
Not open for further replies.
72605_ducks.jpg

Im new to chickens, but I'm learning. Today, a friend brought me a trio of birds found wandering in a park following kids around.
sad.png
. She knew I had chickens and thought I could help them. They appear to be duck, duck, goose! Im not npip tested yet (and doubt that I will be before chicken stock) but live 10 minutes away from Shay. I got a flyer about chicken stock at Westford chicken swap. I suspect that we'll be looking for a home for these guys around the same time as the fiesta. They appear healthy and are settled into a dog crate for the night. The gosling seems to be the leader and is a hoot. We love them already, but I don't think we have a great set up for water birds.

If you might be interested in the trio, feel free to pm me. Hope no one minds this post. And, for the record, I'd totally buy goat cheese! Yummmmmmmmy!

Quote:
I loooooove goat cheese! I would buy some for sure.
big_smile.png

Me too! Me too! Hopefully she can also come to later swaps, I can't make it to the one on the 4th.

Quote:
How sad, Somebody probably gave them to their kids for Easter and then when they realized how messy they can be decided to dump them in a park. Glad someone got them to you. Please make sure not to feed them medicated feed. As far as I know waterfowl do not have to be tested so you could take them to a swap. But check with Shay to be sure. Someone is bound to want them for sure.

Quote:
How sad, Somebody probably gave them to their kids for Easter and then when they realized how messy they can be decided to dump them in a park. Glad someone got them to you. Please make sure not to feed them medicated feed. As far as I know waterfowl do not have to be tested so you could take them to a swap. But check with Shay to be sure. Someone is bound to want them for sure.

You are correct - waterfowl do not need to be tested in MA. So does anyone know what kind of goose that is? Interesting coloring.

72605_downsized_0511112151a1.jpg

Someone said maybe she's an African goose? She's browner than the pics show. I agree they were an Easter dump. The ducks are tiny and I don't think that they'd been swimming before. They loved the swim they had tonight, but they freaked out initially I've got them on what's labeled duck crumbles (it also says chick, chukar and goose maybe?). The woman that brought them to me bought it at ts in nh. They love it. They also loved, Loved the grass and dandelions tonight. The ducks follow the goose and the goose follows my kids. She's a hoot.

Good to know about npip! I'd really like them to go to a great home. Poor things.

Edited to say African and not Chinese!

Last edited:
Quote:
Not sure what kind of goose it may be. You should try calling the feed stores that sold ducks and chicks around Easter to see if they actually sold any goslings and what breeds they were. Maybe that will be some help. The goose is awefully cute and if I were set up for waterfowl, I would take it, but sadly I am a dry land poultry person! LOL

I think the brown duck may be a Khaki Campbell but I really know nothing about waterfowl. My daughter would LOVE LOVE LOVE some ducks but we also don't have a place for them.

Too bad because she'd adore a bunch following her around! Hope you can find a good home for them,

Quote:
Oh no...is it really going to be crappy? I need to watch the weather tonight. Why does it always have to be crappy on the weekends?? Did you get a female mini lop yet for yourself?? How is the little buck doing? Need to see a picture!

OK, need to ask...my nephew's class is planning on hatching eggs for their science project. Back a few months ago I offered up eggs, but I only have a few hens laying right now and they need 70 eggs or as many as I can give. Then they told me they wanted white leghorn eggs. His teacher just called me and asked about the eggs, I told her I dont have any white leghorn eggs and asked her why they had to be that breed and she said it was because they needed to be easily candled. I told her I have light egg layers and a few white egg layers and would let her use my candler. (They were using a 8mm movie projector!) Anyway, Is there any of my peeps that are close to me that could donate or sell to me any eggs so I can add them to whatever I can give to them? Her main concern is that the fertility rate will be good, because last year they only hatched out half of what they incubated. So what I will need for Monday or Tuesday are fertile eggs that are not dark. I am going to be the one donating them to the project, because I thought when I told them my hens would be laying enough but of course they would stop now! LOL
I asked her what they do with the chickens after they hatch and she said that the kids that want them have to have parental permission, so I told her I would take any chicks that were left so if anyone wants them back I can give them to you. She said that they always end up short on chicks! If anyone can help, please PM me and let me know, that you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom