Chickenstock fiesta yardsale August 21

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Ut oh... Bamboo... I love bamboo. I already have 8 different kinds in my yard... Could always use some more if you do bring some lol do you know the name of the kind you have? Two of the types I have are groundcover/ dwarf bamboo. One is called Pleioblastus variegatus, gets about 4 feet high and has big verigated leaves. The other is I believe Pleioblastus humilis, is only a foot high right now, and has tiny green leaves lol.
I actually have two Fargesia nitida growing that I grew from seed. When I got my first couple bamboos from Burt bamboos his had gone to seed and he gave me some to try to grow.
Sorry, I could go on and on about bamboo... Lol

I got my first bamboos from Al at Burt Associates Bamboo, back in 1997! It was a Fargesia muriela, which grew to a big clump then flowered and died (there are a few leaves left, but it's pretty much kaput now). The new generation of fargesias should last for 120 years before they flower and go belly up, but mine was "old generation" and had reached its flowering stage. Now I have about 30 types of bamboo but not all of them are easy to dig.

The groundcover I spoke of is Pleioblastus viridistriatus -- it's a chartreuse green with darker green stripes. It gets a couple feet tall in part shade. I cut it back to the ground every spring and it sends up fresh shoots. I also have some pygmy bamboo (Pleioblastus pygmaeus). If I have time I'll try to scoop a few pots. And, I have the BIG STUFF -- Phyllostachys nuda, P. bissetii, P. nigra and various other species including some kinds of sasas and fargesias, but they are shooting now, and the rhizomes are waaaay too tough to dig without my heavy duty equipment. I won't have time to dig any of that for tomorrow!

Ok, I know which one that is! Beautiful stuff! How much will you be selling it for if you do bring it? As for the other types I have, they include fargesia ruffa, f. ruffa "sunset glow", f. Scabrida, f. jiuzhaigou, my only large runner phyllostachys nigra (which hasn't done anything for me, my only culm is maybe 3 inches tall, but this is probably because rabbits keep eating it in the winter...), and the three I mentioned before.
Sad that bamboo dies once it flowers, but also amazing because you get to see how it grows from seed. One of the nitida seedlings I had started out variegated...I'm mad that I killed it somehow when I transplanted it. Could have been the variegation caused it to be weaker.

Luvs chickens: might be interested in at least a couple of the houdans. Polish type breeds are what Amanda and I will be mainly looking for tomorrow.

Quote:
I think the barred rocks are girls. They are nice and dark. That's all i can tell.

Thanks Kanna! I am so hoping I have 6 ladies! The feed store claims 85% hens in the order! Somedays, I stare at them and think, "I have 3 Roos!" One BR is developing slower (less feathers) , so I wondered. I love the BR feathering. I am very much loving my Golden Comet's red and white feathers! They were a last minute decision and so far, I am very happy with them. I did not expect my Buff-O's to get so big and fluffy so quickly!!!! I so love my babies.....
love.gif
~ Ally

Beth G. :

Hey Darlene,

I am thinking on looking at the golden laced one too b/c I have Red and Blue laced now and it would be cool to breed them to the GL one
smile.png
I will be leaving my house around 6am and it takes me 2 1/2 hours to get there if there is no traffic. Forgive me if I'm a little late but, I am definitely Coming to see you all!!! I can't wait
wee.gif

See you tomorrow!!!

Beth
smile.png

Quote:
Gotta go and get the ingredients for my great macaroni salad!! I will be bringing:

Bantams:
6week old cochins (very small from SQ parents) mottled (on hold), gold laced, splash
1 week old cochins red, mottled, birchen
button quail chicks assorted colors (on hold)

Birds on hold will be available for sale if the people change their minds or do not show up by 10am.

I will also bring if there is any interest society finches (most are hens) in assorted colors
silver fawn java finch hen
zebra finches

I will only bring these if there is definite interest because I do not want to stress them out.

I will have a variety of cages, 20gal. tall aquarium, and other misc. items

I am thinking of bringing my clay jewelry too. Maybe my funky chicken pins!!

Cannot wait to see everyone.
ya.gif

OK Beth, I will wait for you to see the ones you wanted to look at. They are all too cute!

MikeS(erama) :

Quote:
I got my first bamboos from Al at Burt Associates Bamboo, back in 1997! It was a Fargesia muriela, which grew to a big clump then flowered and died (there are a few leaves left, but it's pretty much kaput now). The new generation of fargesias should last for 120 years before they flower and go belly up, but mine was "old generation" and had reached its flowering stage. Now I have about 30 types of bamboo but not all of them are easy to dig.

The groundcover I spoke of is Pleioblastus viridistriatus -- it's a chartreuse green with darker green stripes. It gets a couple feet tall in part shade. I cut it back to the ground every spring and it sends up fresh shoots. I also have some pygmy bamboo (Pleioblastus pygmaeus). If I have time I'll try to scoop a few pots. And, I have the BIG STUFF -- Phyllostachys nuda, P. bissetii, P. nigra and various other species including some kinds of sasas and fargesias, but they are shooting now, and the rhizomes are waaaay too tough to dig without my heavy duty equipment. I won't have time to dig any of that for tomorrow!

Ok, I know which one that is! Beautiful stuff! How much will you be selling it for if you do bring it? As for the other types I have, they include fargesia ruffa, f. ruffa "sunset glow", f. Scabrida, f. jiuzhaigou, my only large runner phyllostachys nigra (which hasn't done anything for me, my only culm is maybe 3 inches tall, but this is probably because rabbits keep eating it in the winter...), and the three I mentioned before.
Sad that bamboo dies once it flowers, but also amazing because you get to see how it grows from seed. One of the nitida seedlings I had started out variegated...I'm mad that I killed it somehow when I transplanted it. Could have been the variegation caused it to be weaker.

Luvs chickens: might be interested in at least a couple of the houdans. Polish type breeds are what Amanda and I will be mainly looking for tomorrow.​

I have F. rufa and F. scabrida too, but no Jiushaigou (I always wanted one! But New England Bamboo always was out of stock by the time I got there).
But ----- an unfortunate turn of events came up and I don't think I'm going to make it to the Chickenstock tomorrow. We had to take my mother to the hospital today with pneumonia. I'll probably have to take my father there to visit tomorrow and I'll need to stay around. Sigh. Now I have all these perennials with nowhere to go. If you're still interested in some bamboo and you're near the Salem, Mass. area you're always welcome to swap, or I'll bring them to the next Chickenstock.

we will be coming
smile.png
we hope to arrive @9
bringing a few flemish giants 8weeks old -2 are already sold meeting us there to pick up

darlenes black and white buck lionlop

abbey- sweetie pie polish for the kids

i have some 6 plus week old amberlinks

hatching eggs anyone? variety pack splash silkies, blue laced red wyandottes, coronation sussex

i also have a chocolate lionhead doe 2yrs old if anyone is interested i will bring her.

Quote:
Oh I would REALLY love some BLRW eggs! I've been looking for some!
I might just have to wait a little because my bator has yet to arrive! Should be here tomorrow
smile.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom