Chickenstock fiesta yardsale August 21

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Does she eat layer pellets ok, or does she need crumbles? I watched her trying to eat tonight, and it looked like she dropped most if not all of the pellets. My son thinks he saw her eat pellets, and said her crop was full after. I did make sure the trough part of the feeder was full for her.

she ate layer pellets here

ok good. My son says he watched her eating them, and she seemed to be getting enough going in instead of falling back out!
smile.png
She is so fun! We can let her out on our lawn, and she stays right around. But our sheltie dog wants to herd her, and she isn't so fond of that, lol!

Quote:
she ate layer pellets here

ok good. My son says he watched her eating them, and she seemed to be getting enough going in instead of falling back out!
smile.png
She is so fun! We can let her out on our lawn, and she stays right around. But our sheltie dog wants to herd her, and she isn't so fond of that, lol!

thats great- she is a great little bird full of personality for sure. i bet she isnt to impressed with the herding
as long as the dish is deep enough she should do great, the last time we trimmed her beak dh did trip the bottom a bit short, i think the longer the bottom the better to scoop with for her.

Quote:
smile.png

thats great- she is a great little bird full of personality for sure. i bet she isnt to impressed with the herding
as long as the dish is deep enough she should do great, the last time we trimmed her beak dh did trip the bottom a bit short, i think the longer the bottom the better to scoop with for her.

ok, i've never tired trimming a beak....you recommend doing that for her, at least the top part? How often?

Oh, and i was going to tell you, she made friends with our little black silkie hen, Lady. Lady is our oldest hen, i think nearly 3 yrs old (she was older than 6 mos, possibly 8 mos old, but not sure, and i got her about 27 mos ago). Lady goes broody from time to time, and then she gets grumpy and snappy, and hates being disturbed. She's been broody lately (i gave her a golf ball to sit on, becasue i don't have other eggs to give her at the moment), but last night, Sweetie Pie climbed into Lady's nest box and settled right in, and the two slept together like old pals! I was amazed that Lady didn't mind a bit....and i think it's cool that the two got along so nicely, i'm sure it made Sweetie Pie feel more at home!
smile.png

Quote:

ok, i've never tired trimming a beak....you recommend doing that for her, at least the top part? How often?

Oh, and i was going to tell you, she made friends with our little black silkie hen, Lady. Lady is our oldest hen, i think nearly 3 yrs old (she was older than 6 mos, possibly 8 mos old, but not sure, and i got her about 27 mos ago). Lady goes broody from time to time, and then she gets grumpy and snappy, and hates being disturbed. She's been broody lately (i gave her a golf ball to sit on, becasue i don't have other eggs to give her at the moment), but last night, Sweetie Pie climbed into Lady's nest box and settled right in, and the two slept together like old pals! I was amazed that Lady didn't mind a bit....and i think it's cool that the two got along so nicely, i'm sure it made Sweetie Pie feel more at home!
smile.png

you will know when it needs to be done it curls , not often i believe we did it 2 times a year maybe
glad she has a friend besides the dog that is

I'm sad that I missed the Chickenstock.
sad.png
It sounds like it was an amazing day.

About beak trimming (hope you don't mind my butting in), it's a lot like fingernails except thicker.
smile.png
If you hold your chickie near a light, you can see the "quick" (where blood vessels and live tissue are) meets the dead material (the beak, like fingernails, is made of keratin, a protein). I always clip at least 1/8th of an inch away from the "quick" so there's no risk of nicking it.

To trim beaks I use a good sharp pair of bypass pruners, which are for pruning shrubs and small tree branches. Bypass pruners open wide and have good leverage (way better than people nail clippers), and they will clip thick beaks easily. I use them for spurs too (same idea -- hold to the light to see separation of quick and nail, then clip spur 1/8th of an inch or more away from the quick).

Quote:
Thank you, that is good to know. I know how to trim the nails on my dog, our pet rabbit, our guinea pig, and my cats' extra toes that don't reach the floor and get worn down, so they need trimming. Sounds like the principle is the same all the way around----don't cut too close to the quick!

I'm sorry you missed yesterday's swap---you had expressed interest in American Buff ducklings. If you are still interested, please email or PM me (i do prefer email, use the email button on this forum), and we can figure something out. I still have 3 beautiful Buff ducklings! I also have Silky ducks, and Khaki Campbells too.
smile.png

Who was it that had the incubators yesterday? I talked to you and now I need one if you have it! I just figured out the hatch will be staggered after all. I'll take an LG please!

Quote:
I believe it was Chicken Chiquita and she was on this thread so see if she has another one. She had 3 and I bought 2 of them and she left still with one in her truck.

Quote:
I believe it was Chicken Chiquita and she was on this thread so see if she has another one. She had 3 and I bought 2 of them and she left still with one in her truck.

That's what I thought and I messaged her thanks
smile.png
was one of them one of the LG's do you know? i just need a hatcher.

Quote:

That's what I thought and I messaged her thanks
smile.png
was one of them one of the LG's do you know? i just need a hatcher.

The one she had left was the 1602, it was the one her pup had chewed a little bit but the lid fit and it was only a cosmetic issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom