Chickentrain's Dog Q&A

@chickentrains I just read a thing on why they can't make service dog regulations because it'd be ableist, even though there's a huge problem with fake service dogs. I didn't fully understand- could you explain?
As I currently see it there isn't anything wrong with anyone needing a service dog getting that dog registered for free and receiving a card that they're required to put in a pocket of their dog's vest, with the option to purchase a vest from them or not. The card could say owner name, dog name, dog breed, and a serial number from the registry.
How is this ableist?
(genuinely curious and willing to learn, not trying to be rude)
First of all, it isn't require for service dogs to have an ID card of that sort.
When people register their fake service dogs online, they are given an ID card for their dog, showing that he/she is a service dog. As a result, actual service dogs may not be allowed to enter certain places if they don't have an ID (keep in mind that IDs don't identify actual service dogs). IDs are then seen as the only way to verify service dogs, which is unfair to disabled people who absolutely need to bring their service dog everywhere.

First of all, it isn't require for service dogs to have an ID card of that sort.
Yes, I know. I was asking why it would be considered ableist to create that system.
When people register their fake service dogs online, they are given an ID card for their dog, showing that he/she is a service dog. As a result, actual service dogs may not be allowed to enter certain places if they don't have an ID (keep in mind that IDs don't identify actual service dogs). IDs are then seen as the only way to verify service dogs, which is unfair to disabled people who absolutely need to bring their service dog everywhere.
Yes, I know that that's the current situation, I was asking why there can't be one thing and all service dogs are required to be registered with it and have specific ID to stop people from bringing disruptive and potentially dangerous fake service dogs into public spaces where they normally wouldn't be allowed.

Yes, I know. I was asking why it would be considered ableist to create that system.

Maybe because no-one needs an id card to wear their glasses, walk with crutches, use their wheelchair, wear a hearing aid, wear a blood sugar monitor, etc.

Also, having to get an id card would have at least one of these two problems:
--it's easy to get, so all the fake "service dogs" get one too, so it does no good.
--it's hard to get, so it's difficult for the people who really do need service dogs, and some might not be able to get the card even when their dog really does perform a necessary service and really does behave properly.
(Any real system would probably have both kinds of problems, making it more harmful than the current no-system arrangement.)

Maybe because no-one needs an id card to wear their glasses, walk with crutches, use their wheelchair, wear a hearing aid, wear a blood sugar monitor, etc.
That makes sense! Thank you!
Also, having to get an id card would have at least one of these two problems:
--it's easy to get, so all the fake "service dogs" get one too, so it does no good.
--it's hard to get, so it's difficult for the people who really do need service dogs, and some might not be able to get the card even when their dog really does perform a necessary service and really does behave properly.
(Any real system would probably have both kinds of problems, making it more harmful than the current no-system arrangement.)
Oh, that is a good point.

Hovawarts are so pretty
1624239467156.png

Back
Top Bottom