Chickentrain's Dog Q&A

Those first two are making me think of horses or donkeys.
Same
Second one looks like a zebra
Maybe the owners lived where they couldn't have a horse or donkey, so they compromised with creative grooming of their dog? :confused:
That's like getting a toy poodle because you couldn't have a human child lol

That's like getting a toy poodle because you couldn't have a human child lol

Well, sort of. I can't have sheep, but I did seriously consider getting a big shaggy dog so I could spin the fur... It all depends on what you want to do with the animal.

Of course you can't ride a dog, but you can brush the "mane" and do interesting styles and photos, and that doesn't bother me as long as the dog is fine with it.

I just feel bad because schnauzer coats are meant to be hand stripped, it's not even very good to clip them, let alone shave them
"Meant to be" because it's traditional and makes them look the way they usually look?

Or "meant to be" for the comfort of the dog? Because as long as the dog is comfortable, and the owner is willing to deal with the maintenance of the style they chose, I just don't see an issue here.

@chickentrains what's your favorite poodle haircut?
German.

94ab89b21cb76a049cb3a93437c33238.jpg

also like the PWD clip on poodles

Well, sort of. I can't have sheep, but I did seriously consider getting a big shaggy dog so I could spin the fur... It all depends on what you want to do with the animal.

Of course you can't ride a dog, but you can brush the "mane" and do interesting styles and photos, and that doesn't bother me as long as the dog is fine with it.

"Meant to be" because it's traditional and makes them look the way they usually look?

Or "meant to be" for the comfort of the dog? Because as long as the dog is comfortable, and the owner is willing to deal with the maintenance of the style they chose, I just don't see an issue here.
"meant to be'' because the coat has two layers, the outer, wiry guard layer and the soft undercoat. Clippering the dog causes the guard hairs to become softer, and done enough times, the two coats will begin to mix together more (guard coat becomes thinner and undercoat gets longer), ruining the protection that the guard layer is meant to give, and making it more difficult for the dog to regulate its body temperature. Any double coated dog breed (regardless of if the outer coat is wire or not) that gets shaved loses the heat and cold protection that the coat gives it.

Back
Top Bottom