Chickentrain's Dog Q&A

So they don't have any joint tests? Personally I wouldn't buy from a breeder who isn't testing hips and elbows for dysplasia, and isn't testing eyes or heart for health issues.
They don't test for anything.... Look at this

"36 Month Hip, Heart and Eye Guarantee: Because canine hip dysplasia and so many other preventable illnesses are related to poor nutrition, we require that your precious puppy continue on Life's Abundance nutrition for the first 36 months of his/her life in order to qualify for this 3-Year Health Guarantee. Remember, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure! We highly recommend you continue to keep your pet on the “All Life Stages” Daily System beyond the guarantee period to promote optimal health for a lifetime. If on the “All Life Stages” System for the first 36 months, the following guarantees apply"

My ideal breeder is someone who is doing this because they love the breed.
They want to see each new generation born at least as good as the previous, ideally better.
They provide for every dog in their care as if that dog is their own.
They will be there for the new family, and stand behind that pup for it's lifetime, rain or shine, with or without a contract.
They will know the standards and pedigrees of their chosen breed, health and genetic diversity of their lines, and breed to better them.
They will know of the latest studies in health standards for their chosen breed and variety and do the health testing of their breeding dogs.
They prove their dogs meet breed standards and are physically capable by breeding from sires and dams proven in competition or participating in other activities.
They do not cross breed.
They will have as many questions for me as I do for them.
They invest in their dogs. They don't expect the dogs to support them.
This describes the breeder we got our first Doberman from, to a T. If she were still breeding, I'd go back to her in a heartbeat. But that was about 27 years ago...

We have one dog, a mutt rescue. We plan to get a second one next summer, probably another mutt rescue.

I love that you all are taking the health issue so seriously!

They don't test for anything.... Look at this

"36 Month Hip, Heart and Eye Guarantee: Because canine hip dysplasia and so many other preventable illnesses are related to poor nutrition, we require that your precious puppy continue on Life's Abundance nutrition for the first 36 months of his/her life in order to qualify for this 3-Year Health Guarantee. Remember, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure! We highly recommend you continue to keep your pet on the “All Life Stages” Daily System beyond the guarantee period to promote optimal health for a lifetime. If on the “All Life Stages” System for the first 36 months, the following guarantees apply"
that isn't even a very good food brand.

Back
Top Bottom