Chickentrain's Dog Q&A

Why wouldn't they be good with off leash training?
I'm going to answer a few questions, but then, I am also off this thread if there isn't an apology to @Geena

Sighthounds aren't good with off-leash training because they were specifically bred to see something and then book it. You know how in the movie Up, the dogs will be talking and then SQUIRRELL? Sighthounds are always looking, and when they SQUIRRELL, it's at 40mph. Regardless of if there's traffic.
Any idea how to teach a command that’s basically like ‘you can do what you want now, you can break form, you can go’ ?
It is called a "release word" and you basically teach it by dropping your attention and walking away. Dogs are very sensitive to body language. "Alright" is a common one and nearly all herding trainers use "That'll do"

Also, to teach a dog to jump, you teach them to sit before the obstacle. You start with something the height of their elbows. Then call them to you over it. This puts the dog in a position to naturally spring up off his hind legs, instead of reaching with his forelegs. Dogs trained in this way jump higher and more readily. Those trained by slowly raising a pole from the ground are prone to be intimidated by height (often the height you start with, with the proper method!) and look to run around or go under the obstacle.

congratulations.
That was SHOCKINGLY rude kiddo. Just because YOU can't do something, doesn't mean it can't be done. It is done by knowing how, and years and years of practice with reading dogs. @Geena has trained dogs for more years than you've known how to use a spoon. You'll get nowhere by insulting those with more experience than you. If you took it wrong, grow a thicker skin, don't insult people from the safety of a computer screen. It doesn't make you look tough, but like a little dog yapping from behind the safety of a fence.

If anyone has any questions for me, please feel free to ask them on another thread.

I'm going to answer a few questions, but then, I am also off this thread if there isn't an apology to @Geena

I would like an apology, actually.

For somebody to come on my thread and say "I cannot imagine a recall taking several years " is rude. Sorry.

I am more than happy to take advise from people, but saying that it shouldn't take years to teach a command is rude. Not every dog and handler progresses at the same rate. A dog trainer especially should know this.

Last edited:
Anyways, moving on :l

I wrote this earlier

Why we shouldn’t hate dog breeders

Most people have the mindset of “Adopt don’t shop”. A saying to help shelter dogs and cats get adopted. But why not shop? Why can't people find a breeder who breeds a dog with the temperament that best fits the family?

Before I continue, we must address the three types of dog breeders. The backyard breeder (byb), Puppy mill, and reputable breeders. A backyard breeder usually owns a LOT of dogs, and breeds designer dogs, dogs for pretty colors, purebred dogs to a smaller size, ect. These types of breeders do not do any health testing, and are just breeding for the money. This breeder may pose as a reputable breeder, and may or may not raise and keep their dogs inside their home, with good treatments. But, you shouldn’t support this sort of breeder because the wellbeing of the puppy doesn’t matter to them, they just want money, and the health of their puppies is unknown. The puppy mill breeder is a breeder who breeds lots of breeds, in small dirty confined places. These dogs are often neglected. A puppy mill will most often supply pet stores with puppies. These dogs have no health testing, and there are several reports of pet store puppies coming home with parvo, respiratory disease, and many more illnesses.

Now, the gold star of all three of these breeders. A reputable breeder. This type of breeder either breeds for the working ability of the dog, such as German shepherds for Police work, or Border collies who excel in herding. And conformation, to follow the breed standard of the dog, to produce quality dogs.Reputable breeders, while they may have a main focus of one or the other, should maintain the conformation, and the breeds original purpose (herding, freighting, or being a guard dog). These breeders will title their dogs in show and sport (titles are like rewards for a dog's performance in a dog show, or a sport). They do extensive health testing, and depending on their amount of dogs have only 1-2 litters per year. These breeders are not in it for the money, and often have to work another job to pay the vet bills, food costs, and trial entries for their dogs.

So, Why adopt, and why buy from a reputable breeder? If you just want a family pet, don't mind the future health of the dog, and you don’t mind working through behavioral issues, then adopt if you want to! Adoption has many flaws, as you aren’t sure of the dogs temperament, or health, but if you don’t mind it is a lovely option.

But why would somebody buy a dog from a reputable breeder? They may admire a certain breed for how they look, or the breeds temperament or health. Some people want a specific temperament to be apart of their home. Maybe they need a dog who is proven at their job, to herd their sheep, or to protect their livestock.

Maybe somebody wants a Bulldog, because of their low energy and smushy cute looks! But they don't want one they may develop health issues that are prominent in the breed. This person may want to buy a dog from a reputable breeder because the breeder’s dogs are much healthier than a dog you may find in the shelter. Reputable breeders do health tests on their dogs, and any dogs who don’t come back Good or excellent (hips, elbows, eyes) Or Clear (Genetic health issues) the breeder doesn’t breed these dogs. That means that the breeder only produces & Sells healthy Dogs.

Maybe somebody wants a golden retriever, but all of their past goldens developed arthritis and cancer towards their later years. This person doesn’t want to watch another one of their dogs hurt, so they decide to buy a dog from a reputable breeder. The breeder does health tests on their dogs, and none of the dogs in their new puppies' pedigree is proven to not carry arthritis or cancer.

There are different reasons for why people get their animals from where, but people shouldn’t dislike or hate breeders. Breeders work to protect and conserve the dog breeds we love. They work tirelessly to produce dogs who perform to their breed standard, who are healthy, and can do what their breed was bred to do. Reputable breeders do not contribute to the shelters population, a reputable breeder will always allow a dog back into their home, and most require that if you can no longer care for their dog, they will take it back. There's no reason to not support breeders, even if you prefer rescue dogs.

What is the smartest dog?
I know I'm pages and pages behind, but I just want to say that the smartest dog is not necessarily the easiest to train. In fact, unless you are a very experienced trainer, the opposite will be the case, because if you make a mistake in training a very smart dog, you will probably discover you have accidentally taught him to do the very opposite of what you intended. Also, smart dogs tend to discover very quickly that they can train you. Get an average to dumb dog and take classes.

1615087614130.png

Baby boi!

I used "Okay" for my dog (yes, she got released by mistake sometimes, but it wasn't often enough to be a big deal.)

When I was going to release her, I would say her name, then Okay.

But I didn't want her jumping up when I said her name. So sometimes I would say her name, then when she looked at me I'd say "good dog," and let her keep staying.

I used her name to mean "pay attention to what I'm going to say next" or "hey, I'm talking to you," not as a command all by itself.
I love that! Good idea! Useful for multi dog homes too so they know who you’re talking to lol

Back
Top Bottom