Chickentrain's Dog Q&A

just do whatever works for you and your dog. you dont have to know exactly what you are gonna do before you bring the dog home
but like- there's some stuff that I can do, right?
I can have a general attitude and idea of waht's going to happen?

I hate not being able to plan, I always plan everything

some stuff is like 'make sure your dog knows that you're the alpha!' and other stuff is like 'never do that! dominance causes aggression!' and some stuff is like 'get a slip collar! it is perfect for puppies!' and other stuff is like 'no! those are horrible!' adn then things are like 'never make any corrections and do positive only training!' but that doesn't make sense-

Also! Speaking of slip collars (choke chains) ND has been given one! i don't really feel comfortable walking her in that! i do not think that it is what would be good for her! but! i am not a dog trainer! and I have no authority! at all! i am! not thrilled about this! and it is a source of stress!

If you need a plan right now, just plan to use the book your parents have, that they are familiar with and comfortable with.

Dogs are very trainable. Part of the reason there are so many methods is because ANY of those methods will work with some dogs.

Yes, there are some dogs that do better with one method or another--but you learn that by trying something with your dog, and seeing if it works. You cannot do that until you have the dog!

some stuff is like 'make sure your dog knows that you're the alpha!' and other stuff is like 'never do that! dominance causes aggression!' and some stuff is like 'get a slip collar! it is perfect for puppies!' and other stuff is like 'no! those are horrible!' adn then things are like 'never make any corrections and do positive only training!' but that doesn't make sense-
I don’t go by method or really read any training things, I just know the basics of what I want and go with whatever works for my dog, which is no treats unless it is a fun thing and mostly correction unless it is again fun.

I agree with Natj if you need a plan use the dog book your parents like, might be best at the start to do that so that it isn’t too confusing for Finn

I definitely wouldn’t do any of that alpha dominance stuff especially with a little baby BUT I also don’t believe in the whole never telling your dog no thing either. That’s stupid. But puppies are easy to train and a little tiny baby like that shouldn’t need anything other than positive reinforcement/food or play rewards and maybe an occasional no for now. He might need more corrections later as he gets into adolescence haha but even then, Goldens are extremely people pleasing dogs so he should do great with mostly positive. That’s what I do is mostly positive reinforcement but I don’t do ALL positive because I do think dogs need some corrections or to be told no once in a while. But that “correction” could be as simple as just a voice correction or withholding food for some or another may need that prong or choke collar or whatever else. You have to go with what your dog needs and how he does. For now, with a puppy, that should be positive and fun and you need to make yourself the best, most interesting thing in the world!!!

Back
Top Bottom