Chickentrain's Dog Q&A

I've heard that if you get two puppies from the same litter, they may have littermate syndrome, which is where they are overly attached with each other and completely ignore the owner. Before I didn't know about this, so I actually got two puppies from the same litter. They were playing with each other ALL the time and they always wanted to be by eachother's side.
Friend has two puppies from the same litter and I don't think that they've had issues with it.

It might help to get some of that energy out before the walk too. Does he get to run around much at all? He’s young and really needs time to run free in a safe area. Might help his walking skills to get some of that pent up energy out. Also get some really high value treats like boiled chicken, hot dogs, cheese, lunch meat, etc. and reward him for walking with a loose leash. But the biggest thing is to NOT let him go when he pulls. So when he does that crazy gate running thing? Plant yourself there and DO NOT MOVE until he stops pulling and comes back to you. This will be hard at first and you may find that you don’t even have time to go for the walk by the time you get through waiting haha but that’s okay. The important thing is getting past that even if it takes time then it will be easier. Right now, he thinks that he still gets to go for the walk even if he is being crazy and that sets the energy for the whole walk and it’s not a good one. Can you make him sit and wait before you open the gate like you do with the door? You might need to work on impulse control more than the actual walking and just practice opening and closing the gate and doors, etc. a ton before you even walk. If he starts to go out, just shut the door and wait till he sits back down. This may take a while.
Ok I'll try this he has the whole garden around my house and a Feild beside our house too so he's living his dreams...I did try to sit him with the door it was Easy because we didn't walk him as he needed a vaccine and the gate ...he dose not listen ..we tried today morning he looked exoughsted but still didn't listen when we went and opens the gate...trued not to let him out and I go out first..

Attachments

• IMG_20210417_120524.jpg
    IMG_20210417_120524.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2
I've heard that if you get two puppies from the same litter, they may have littermate syndrome, which is where they are overly attached with each other and completely ignore the owner. Before I didn't know about this, so I actually got two puppies from the same litter. They were playing with each other ALL the time and they always wanted to be by eachother's side.
Back when I had Coco, my sister had Kyser. They were siblings and I believe that happened to them. They didn’t want anything to do with anyone but each other. When Coco passed it was very hard on Kyser. But I don’t think it was because they were from the same litter, as we got them about 2 weeks apart. I think it’s because they were both puppies and accepted each other.

Ok I'll try this he has the whole garden around my house and a Feild beside our house too so he's living his dreams...I did try to sit him with the door it was Easy because we didn't walk him as he needed a vaccine and the gate ...he dose not listen ..we tried today morning he looked exoughsted but still didn't listen when we went and opens the gate...trued not to let him out and I go out first..
Dogs don’t usually exercise themselves so him having that area doesn’t really mean much if he isn’t actively running around with it. You will need to go out with him and exercise him. Also, the listening thing and all that will take time and patience. He won’t just listen immediately nor should he be expected too. It will take time and training. If he doesn’t listen then try again and again until he does. And was he on a leash or? He needs to be so you can make sure he doesn’t go out first and not accidentally reinforce that behavior.

Ok, I have this Chihuahua/mini pincher. He barks at very thing and every one. He's very protective of me. He bark and try's to bite any new person. He also HATES men. What can I do to help this behavior?
Whenever someone new comes in, have them ignore him and toss them a treat or a toy (whatever is highest value). This will help him associate visitors with something positive. Have men do two treats, or both a toy and a treat. If he barks, have someone else remove him from the situation until he is calm. Keep him on leash.

Whenever someone new comes in, have them ignore him and toss them a treat or a toy (whatever is highest value). This will help him associate visitors with something positive. Have men do two treats, or both a toy and a treat. If he barks, have someone else remove him from the situation until he is calm. Keep him on leash.
Ok.

Don’t have the visitor pay him any attention aside from the occasional treat toss when he’s calm, and when removing him from the situation, use a leash, don’t pick him up. Bring him somewhere where he can’t see you or the visitor. It’ll take a while, and I’d recommend having people come over specifically for training, as conversations will be hard.

Back
Top Bottom