Chickentrain's Dog Q&A

Can anyone tell me about puppy vaccinations vs. the need for socialization with other dogs? I know many people who worry about their unvaccinated/partially vaccinated puppy getting parvo or another disease don't let them directly interact with other dogs or go on walks where the puppy could come into contact with contaminants. But I also know that that period is the socialization window in which it is so necessary to get a puppy used to new experiences, including interacting with other dogs and puppies. Any thoughts?

Can anyone tell me about puppy vaccinations vs. the need for socialization with other dogs? I know many people who worry about their unvaccinated/partially vaccinated puppy getting parvo or another disease don't let them directly interact with other dogs or go on walks where the puppy could come into contact with contaminants. But I also know that that period is the socialization window in which it is so necessary to get a puppy used to new experiences, including interacting with other dogs and puppies. Any thoughts?

Wait until fully vaccinated. Socilization isn't about playing with other dogs. Its about becoming neutral in every environment. Put your puppy in a stroller, in a bag, etc, and carry that pup around!

Wait until fully vaccinated. Socilization isn't about playing with other dogs. Its about becoming neutral in every environment. Put your puppy in a stroller, in a bag, etc, and carry that pup around!
Okay! That was the original plan. I was mainly curious because black_cat's puppy Finn seems to be meeting and interacting with other dogs, and he is under 12 weeks old, right?

It seems to depend on what authority you listen to.

The American Veterinary Society of Animal Behavior put out a statement in 2008 saying to socialize puppies (with a list of guidelines) from about age 8 weeks.

I'm having trouble making a link to it, but it should turn up if you google for: avsab position statement puppy socialization

Back
Top Bottom