Chickentrain's Dog Q&A

Is there a way to improve dog focus in general? Or a way to put a dog in training/work mode, like always using a specific harness when doing 'work'?

You can use a command or a piece of gear.

Focus in general, engagement and food pretty much..did you see the video about engagement that I posted awhile back, or do you need another video?

are you still out of school? lots of time for questions it seems, haha!

You can use a command or a piece of gear.

Focus in general, engagement and food pretty much..did you see the video about engagement that I posted awhile back, or do you need another video?
I don't think I saw it
are you still out of school? lots of time for questions it seems, haha!
No, it's just lunch period lol

There are lots of nursing homes+Hospitals+libraries near me that do stuff with therapy dogs but idk if I could get that far with Finn

The main thing is having him focused on me when moving through distractions, which is also required for the CGC
I'd like him to have a CGC if nothing else

UGH my parents want an E collar for him
I'm not using negative reinforcement on a GOLDEN RETRIEVER puppy, that's ridiculous
In the four weeks we've had him, he's learned sit, down, leave it, recall, and jump over a jump, it's not like he's not trainable or needs the corrections

UGH my parents want an E collar for him
I'm not using negative reinforcement on a GOLDEN RETRIEVER puppy, that's ridiculous
In the four weeks we've had him, he's learned sit, down, leave it, recall, and jump over a jump, it's not like he's not trainable or needs the corrections
While an E-collar should not be introduced until the dog is mature (no puppy should be learning a solid recall so young, there are other things to focus on), The e-collar is not negative reinforcement. The e-collar acts as an invisible leash, and the stim feels the same as your phone vibrating in your back pocket. It doesn't hurt, and its just a physical reminder of recall.

Now, if you use it as punishment, or get a cheap collar, then its flat out abuse.

While an E-collar should not be introduced until the dog is mature (no puppy should be learning a solid recall so young, there are other things to focus on), The e-collar is not negative reinforcement. The e-collar acts as an invisible leash, and the stim feels the same as your phone vibrating in your back pocket. It doesn't hurt, and its just a physical reminder of recall.

Now, if you use it as punishment, or get a cheap collar, then its flat out abuse.
I still want to avoid it if possible.

Also Avary look at this:
https://www.dogforum.com/threads/black_cats-general-dog-discussion.372202/
tried to start a peaceful discussion but NO
this same person with the chihuahua profile pic on another thread was like 'when people try to pet my dog, I tell them that she's a bite risk, which is true' and then was like 'you should only let a trusted few people pet your dog (aware that this is a 14 week old puppy'
Uhm, i'm not an expert but maybe your dog is a bite risk because she's UNDERSOCIALIZED BECAUSE YOU ONLY LET A FEW PEOPLE PET HER WHEN SHE WAS YOUNG

Back
Top Bottom