Chickentrain's Dog Q&A

Any ideas to help a old fluffy dog keep cool? It is really hot at the moment, she has one of those cooling mats. She does not really like water

Shade, plenty of cool water, maybe ice cubes to lick.

Have you made sure to brush out as much fur as possible? I know that shed fur can sometimes get tangled instead of falling all the way out, but of course the dog is cooler with it gone.

You say she's got a cooling mat. Is there also a stone or tile floor available? Sometimes those are nice and cool to lie on too.

Air conditioning could certainly help, if it's available. Otherwise, put a fan somewhere-- I've seen a panting dog put its face in moving air, probably because that makes the moisture evaporate faster so it cools the dog a bit more.

(You've probably thought of most of these already. I'm just listing everything I can think of in hopes that something will help.)

Shade, plenty of cool water, maybe ice cubes to lick.

Have you made sure to brush out as much fur as possible? I know that shed fur can sometimes get tangled instead of falling all the way out, but of course the dog is cooler with it gone.

You say she's got a cooling mat. Is there also a stone or tile floor available? Sometimes those are nice and cool to lie on too.

Air conditioning could certainly help, if it's available. Otherwise, put a fan somewhere-- I've seen a panting dog put its face in moving air, probably because that makes the moisture evaporate faster so it cools the dog a bit more.

(You've probably thought of most of these already. I'm just listing everything I can think of in hopes that something will help.)
She has the option of laying on tiled floors she just doesn’t. No air conditioning unfortunately. outside in the shade is okay she just doesn’t go out unless somebody is with her. I might look for some ice cubes I have been giving her her food frozen

Just came back from the park a while ago. He was okay at ignoring the other dogs from a distance; he just didn't like it when they took him by surprise (i.e. running, coming out of nowhere, unexpected behaviors, etc.). Hopefully he isn't truly aggressive?:D

How do I know if he is truly aggressive and not just scared?🤔
It may not matter much. He could still hurt another dog, or get himself hurt, no matter which it is.

For how to tell which, maybe watch how he acts when he's on a leash, or when there is a fence between him and the other dog.

Yes, he might behave differently when he's restrained instead of loose, but you can learn something from his behavior-- and no dog will get hurt while you're doing it.

If he's just scared, then gradual exposure, starting with other dogs at a distance, might work to slowly solve the problem. And if he's aggressive, it might still work. Either he learns that the other dogs don't hurt him, or he practices to not hurt them, but either way he can improve by working on his manners in the presence of other dogs but at a safe distance.

It may not matter much. He could still hurt another dog, or get himself hurt, no matter which it is.

For how to tell which, maybe watch how he acts when he's on a leash, or when there is a fence between him and the other dog.

Yes, he might behave differently when he's restrained instead of loose, but you can learn something from his behavior-- and no dog will get hurt while you're doing it.

If he's just scared, then gradual exposure, starting with other dogs at a distance, might work to slowly solve the problem. And if he's aggressive, it might still work. Either he learns that the other dogs don't hurt him, or he practices to not hurt them, but either way he can improve by working on his manners in the presence of other dogs but at a safe distance.
How long will it take (approximately) to get to the point of him being able to completely ignore other dogs?

Back
Top Bottom