Chickentrain's Dog Q&A

How long will it take (approximately) to get to the point of him being able to completely ignore other dogs?

It depends on the dog.

I would guess at least a few weeks, and possibly months. Whether your dog can ever ignore other dogs that are close, I don't know-- passing each other on the sidewalk, or being close while the owners chat, is going to be much harder than ignoring dogs that are on the far side of a field.

How much time you are able to spend working on it will have some effect. But I think the biggest difference is how much there is for your dog to learn-- the bigger his problem, the longer it takes to wear it down to a level you can live with.

It would be best to have him evaluated by a professional trainer. They can test him with a neutral dog and watch his reactions and body language. His aggression could be based in dominance or fear, or he may be reactive.
Yeah, that particular dog has always been the more frightful and skittish one of the group. So far, I am guessing that he’s probably scared. :)

I know most dogs would get very annoyed with a reactive and unsolicited dog up in there face. Your dog has the potential to be bit
I think this depends a lot on your dog, how often you work with him and many other things. I wouldn’t set a timer, go at your dogs pace, when he will ignore dogs is when he will ignore dogs
It depends on the dog.

I would guess at least a few weeks, and possibly months. Whether your dog can ever ignore other dogs that are close, I don't know-- passing each other on the sidewalk, or being close while the owners chat, is going to be much harder than ignoring dogs that are on the far side of a field.

How much time you are able to spend working on it will have some effect. But I think the biggest difference is how much there is for your dog to learn-- the bigger his problem, the longer it takes to wear it down to a level you can live with.
Thanks for y’all’s help! I’ll continue working on it with him and *hopefully* see results soon😊

Back
Top Bottom