Chickentrain's Dog Q&A

y'all I might have found a corgi to co own
this is he
1632773882153.png

1632773893057.png

I'd be co owning for juniors

What tricks are THE most important for dogs? Charlie was a very difficult pup to train, but is now 8-9 months old, and is much easier to work with. He knows Heel (which, in our case means stay RIGHT beside/behind me until I say “go”), Jump, Sit, and we’ve started working on Lay (which means lay down) today. I figure after we perfect “Lay”, we could start on other commands.

What tricks are THE most important for dogs? Charlie was a very difficult pup to train, but is now 8-9 months old, and is much easier to work with. He knows Heel (which, in our case means stay RIGHT beside/behind me until I say “go”), Jump, Sit, and we’ve started working on Lay (which means lay down) today. I figure after we perfect “Lay”, we could start on other commands.

Personally, I have found "stay" to be very useful.

With an energetic labrador retriever who liked to put her nose in everything, teaching her to stay allowed her to be with me a lot more of the time. For example, when someone came to visit but had children that were afraid of dogs, I put the dog on a down-stay in the corner of the room. The children were able to play happily, and the dog did not get banished to another room behind a closed door.

Personally, I have found "stay" to be very useful.

With an energetic labrador retriever who liked to put her nose in everything, teaching her to stay allowed her to be with me a lot more of the time. For example, when someone came to visit but had children that were afraid of dogs, I put the dog on a down-stay in the corner of the room. The children were able to play happily, and the dog did not get banished to another room behind a closed door.
Is there any tips you could offer on how to teach “stay”? I feel like that’s one of the most intimidating ones to try and teach. But, probably very very useful. Especially since Charlie loves everyone but not everyone wants a dog all over them lol.

Recall and leave it are both very important commands that could be life saving.

Is there any tips you could offer on how to teach “stay”? I feel like that’s one of the most intimidating ones to try and teach. But, probably very very useful. Especially since Charlie loves everyone but not everyone wants a dog all over them lol.

I can tell what worked for me:

I had a child in diapers when I was working on stay.

So I first taught the dog the basic idea-- down, stay, OK to release.

Then I'd put the dog on a stay, and sit beside the dog on the floor to change the child's diaper.
If the dog moved, I would put it back. I did not release the dog until after I finished the diaper change.

Because I had to change diapers many times each day, this reminded me to have the dog practice frequently :D It also kept the dog's nose out of the diaper as I worked.

I would also make the dog stay while I put food in her dish at mealtime, and of course she had to stay until I released her.

When the dog got a bit better at staying, I would also put the her on a down-stay in the corner of the kitchen while I did dishes.

With all of those times each day, the dog learned quickly.

At first, you need to be close enough to grab the dog & put it back, but over time you can work up to being further away (like washing the dishes, chatting with company, or sitting at the table to eat dinner). When company came to visit, I would usually have to be right beside the dog for the first few minutes, because she would be so excited. After that, she would settle down and be fairly trustworthy about staying.

I don't know what parts of your life would be good for having the dog stay, but making it a regular part of the everyday routine really helped me.

Back
Top Bottom