Chickentrain's Dog Q&A

truman got his cherry eye removed. He's going to start frisbee leauge in the fall, and hopefully agility too

So Truman is now a one-eyed dog? Do you find that it has affected his depth perception needed to judge catching a frisbee, as being one-eyed affects human depth perception?

Be careful doing agility with a one-eyed dog. I have known one who participated in our agility classes but didn't compete. She did well as long as her handler was careful to understand that she was blind on one side, and he stayed with her on the course rather than try to get lateral distance as most of us do.

We also had a three legged ex-police Dobie in our classes for a while and that was really interesting! Very athletic dog in spite of losing a hind leg to a bullet. Again, the handler was very careful to allow for the dog's limitations.

So Truman is now a one-eyed dog? Do you find that it has affected his depth perception needed to judge catching a frisbee, as being one-eyed affects human depth perception?

Be careful doing agility with a one-eyed dog. I have known one who participated in our agility classes but didn't compete. She did well as long as her handler was careful to understand that she was blind on one side, and he stayed with her on the course rather than try to get lateral distance as most of us do.

We also had a three legged ex-police Dobie in our classes for a while and that was really interesting! Very athletic dog in spite of losing a hind leg to a bullet. Again, the handler was very careful to allow for the dog's limitations.
I thought cherry eye removal surgery involved surgically replacing the third eyelid gland, not removing the whole eye. (But I have no idea)

No, Truman does have two eyes. And actually, removing it has improved his performance tremendously. Frisbee pratice today - https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZTRUWAVWY/?k=1
20220806_224850(0).jpg

I have a rescue dog I've had for almost 6 years. He's my baby boy, named Lukey. He's a 3-legged dog who chases everything...cats, squirrels, birds, bunnies, etc. However, he is amazing with his 4 sisters who we raised from baby chickens and are now 16 months old. I didn't even actually have to 'train' him. When they were baby chicks in the house he was very interested and anxious and I kept him out of their space but would allow him in at least once a day. He would shake with excitement. Over time as they moved outdoors I kept him away from them. And at some point maybe when they were around 6 months he just came to accept them! He is outside with his 'sisters ' most of the day while they free range. I just have a 1/3 acre suburban (Seattle) backyard. I feel more comfortable with him out there with them, than without since I am new to the area (2 months) and unsure of the predator situation. He is completely indifferent to them. They can walk inches in front of his face, squawk and flap their wings and run across the yard in excitement and he merely looks at them then goes about his business.

I feel so fortunate and blessed to have a furry, feathery flock that exist in harmony.

But am I just naive and at some point a dog will attack a chicken? I see a lot of scary stories. Just wondering about those that forever remain peaceful...?

Tell me your thoughts on the subject.

Attachments

• 20220627_193518.jpg
    20220627_193518.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 3
  • 20220701_133023.jpg
    20220701_133023.jpg
    825.8 KB · Views: 5
  • 20220715_114359.jpg
    20220715_114359.jpg
    816.4 KB · Views: 4
  • 20220718_150208.jpg
    20220718_150208.jpg
    884.3 KB · Views: 6
  • 20220720_151831.jpg
    20220720_151831.jpg
    639.3 KB · Views: 5
But am I just naive and at some point a dog will attack a chicken? I see a lot of scary stories. Just wondering about those that forever remain peaceful...?
Some dogs do attack chickens later, and some never do.

Since your dog is already 6 years old, he is less likely to change (as compared with a partly-grown puppy, who may change behavior as he continues to grow and mature.)

There are no guarantees with living animals, but your situation sounds as safe and stable as it reasonably could be with a dog and chickens.

@Cecisflock I was just reviewing this thread and feel I should clarify. I didn't mean to imply that there are 2 lines of AKC Collies, as there are multiple types of Border Collies.

In many parts of the US, there still exists what are often referred to as "Farm Collies." These are the descendants of the original English herding dogs that were brought to America early on, long before the AKC was founded. Some were refined into the Australian Shepherd (which, in spite of its name is an American breed), others are now called English Shepherds, but many are still just referred to as Farm Collies.

http://www.farmcollie.org

In any case, these dogs have a very different temperament than our AKC collies, and I found that especially here on BYC, where many people are rural, that they have "collies" with behaviors that seem odd to those of us used to AKC collies, only to find out that they are in fact not AKC collies at all.
IMO, and I'm sure as a show person you will agree, that many 'farm collies' are unethically bred. especially OTSC. English shepherds are gorgeous though. My friend shows them in UKC.

Back
Top Bottom