Chickenwire = Danger

Buff Hooligans

Scrambled
12 Years
Jun 11, 2007
Could some of the online experts address why chickenwire is called chickenwire when it is responsible for so many chicken deaths and broken hearts?

For those who are planning their coops and runs, don't use chickenwire - it is too "open" and bendable by predators, too easily breached by anything with muscles and claws - use hardware cloth if you want to keep your babies safe.

I'm not an expert, but I'm going to repeat something I was recently told by a guy who makes the www.coops4you.com tractor, then draw a conclusion.

His assertion is that the imported wire that is available today is garbage, and that it used to be better.

I think the conclusion is that as with many products, the quality of what used to be a useful product has declined, so much so that it is no longer useful for the original purpose.

We have to demand better products. And we have to start manufacturing our materials in the US instead of importing all this cheap crap from China.

chicken wire is to keep chickens in--not predators out. Chicken wire use to be about 2X thicker in diameter than it is now.

I saw what happened when someone tried to keep 2 roosters separated by poultry netting (chicken wire). The australorp ripped through it (broke the wire!) and beat the other rooster up pretty badly. I couldn't believe it.

Hi Nugget,

I tried to reach you by e-mail.

I'm building a 10x12 shed that will be 1/2 coop and 1/2 potting shed. I was hoping I might learn a bit more about how you folks built your swoopy roof, and any problems you encountered/solved.

Any chance you could fill us in on those sorts of details?

Thanks!

Quote:
I'm not trying to be funny or sarcastic or anything... but what else would you call it?

Trying to be funny and sarcastic...expletive! expletive! expletive!

Our landlady has a farm behind our rental mini-farm and is constantly having predator problems because she's "old school" at 80-something years old and uses chicken wire on all her enclosures. She's always doing repairs and rebuilding to pred proof, with little to no luck.

Since we've added chickens (and had no losses...knock on Glock), she's been coming to us more about why this and why that because we've not had the problems and she can't figure it out.

We used chicken wire on our main run, wished we hadn't, but I think our dog keeps alot of pred problems at bay for us. "IF" I could redo the main run, it would be 100% half inch hardware cloth over the cattle panels. Since hindsight is 20/20, I check the run twice a day, everyday for signs of intrusion to make sure we're not being infiltrated.

Greginshasta is correct in stating that they don't make it like they used to.

Dawn

Make it fast, make it cheap, make it plastic, make it in China. Why are the stores full of cheap imported junk? What are we going to do for a living when all of the jobs are in China or India? We all can't be on welfare?

It is better to buy something used in the second hand store than buy something imported.

China has 44 billion dollars of our currency thanks to Walmart and K mart. Now that they are dumping the dollar in favor of the Euro, the US dollar is now worth less than the Canadian dollar. I forsee a huge inflation when prices catch up with the devaluation.

It could be worse. They are dumping the dollar slowly because they own about a quarter of the US national debt.

It is time to rethink this "free trade" business. China buys one item from abroad and then knocks off millions of copies. They don't free trade! They steal and plunder.

It is time to dump the income tax and replace it with some heavy tariffs. Our nation depended upon tariffs as it's main source of revenue until we got hooked on the income tax which just penalizes hard work and inititive.

We need to reindustrialize our nation. Forget about being friends with people that don't like us. We need to take care of ourselves first.

Rufus

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom