Chickenwire = Danger

Sure I can Greg, I seem to be having email problems lately... Maybe it would be easiest if I put the details about the roof on my coop page. If I've left anything out, let me know
smile.png

Back to chicken wire.......are you buying the 1" or the 2"? There is a difference in chicken wires in the quality you buy. You have to shop around.

Quote:
Absatively. When we moved in here, a neighbor had chickens. They went away for a weekend and when they returned, no more chickens. All gone in one attack. I'm not gonna let some critter get to mine, and the wire is a minor expense relative to everything else.

chickin wire is vicious as well! just finished my run (will post pics later!) and my hands are in shreads, bought 25mm size and couldnt fit my fingers in the holes WITH gloves on, OUCH
hit.gif
my girls are worth it though!!
D.gif

we used what you guys would call hardware cloth a foot up then chicken wire from there up, we only (ha ha) have to worry about foxes in the uk though, not any other nasties like you all have
hmm.png

Hx

When we started building our coop, the neighbor down the street gave us to HUGE rolls of old chicken wire. He was an old landscaper, and had this from a job he did many many years ago. The stuff it really tough. I can hardly cut through it. We did have some of the new stuff, and it's way easy to cut through, so I can believe that it's gotten cheap.

We always put our chickens in at night, too many visitors around here at night and a great dane guarding the place during the day so we don't worry about it much.

i have chicken wire. it's pretty strong. it's actually called "poultry mesh". the only problem is that it goes everywhere, and impossible to put up. i learned that an uncovered run with chicks was a bad idea, they can climb it since they are so light. also, it's razor sharp if you cut it for any reason. i dont know what kind of predators i would have over here that could get through chicken wire, even chain link fencing!! the only predators are cats, and the occasional raccoon (really rare) and the chickies are locked up at night, so no worries.

also - it was really hard to cut through! we got it around easter.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom