Chicks and Bees Cohabitating

StuttsHobbyFarm

In the Brooder
Apr 27, 2023
We're raising both chicks and bees in the same yard. Have to because of small space. This is my first time having a hobby farm and my Hubby's 1000th. I'd appreciate any tips on raising them together! What to avoid, how to handle it when they decide to dislike eachother, tips to help things run smoothly, etc.
Thanks!

We're raising both chicks and bees in the same yard. Have to because of small space. This is my first time having a hobby farm and my Hubby's 1000th. I'd appreciate any tips on raising them together! What to avoid, how to handle it when they decide to dislike eachother, tips to help things run smoothly, etc.
Thanks!
We have our beehives right in the chicken run. The chickens keep it weeded för me for easy access and they live when I told the comb filled with drones for a test in the summer.

The only problem we have ever had is that the chickens dug up the cement things we buried for the hive stand and it is starting to tip over so we have to rebuild it this week.

Chickens may learn to stand beside the hive and eat bees as they come out or arrive at the landing board.

You can solve a lot of bees and livestock or neighbors problems by putting a tall solid fence around your apiary, Not because it hides the bees, but because it makes them fly up above the heads of people and livestock when they are zooming off to work and back. Stings and conflicts happen more when bees bump into somebody during their commute.

Chickens may learn to stand beside the hive and eat bees as they come out or arrive at the landing board.

You can solve a lot of bees and livestock or neighbors problems by putting a tall solid fence around your apiary, Not because it hides the bees, but because it makes them fly up above the heads of people and livestock when they are zooming off to work and back. Stings and conflicts happen more when bees bump into somebody during their commute.
I didn't know they could do this. Mine run like chickens when a bee flies around them and they definitely avoid the entrances, which are about 60 cm above ground level. It is just the larva and honeycomb they come running for. 😂

I have a hive right next to the Coop.

I will say that when you work the hive, make sure the chickens are far away and isolated until the hive settles back down.

I had several chickens get stung to death when I opened the hive and they were close by. The bees will attack anything that moves when you are in the hive.

Back
Top Bottom