Chicks and Dog

6CHICKS141

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 17, 2012
Massachussetts
I am getting 6 new baby chicks. I also have a labradoodle dog, she is about 4 years old right now. I know that she likes to chase squirrels, she barks at any animal outside. We had a turkey who walked by outside and she went crazy. This worries me because I don't want her to go after the chicks. My friends says that she will have mothering instincts to the chicks, but I don't know. Is there a trick or any way to get her used to them?
Thanks
smile.png

I have 7 chickens and 5 dogs, i keep the chickens in a run and the dogs hardly bother with them (they occasionally bark at them). But i suppose it differs with other dogs, i would keep your chicks in a secure run until your dog gets used to them and they are older. Hopes this helps:)

What we did is we took our dogs near the brooder (where the chicks were visible, but safe) and let the dogs look. Anytime they got too interested they got a firm "no" (which in our case is a bark, lol, we bark at our dogs when they do something naughty). When they ignored the birds they got treats and praise. It mostly worked. One dog doesn't bother with them at all. The other has turned into a bit of a mother hen. He watches the birds. One escaped and he just ran over and sniffed and sat with the chick and followed it around. Then he managed to climb the gate and get into the brooder and just sniffed and sat with ALL the chicks. (Did I mention these are very small dogs?)

So it *seems* to have worked. I still don't trust the dogs too much (they're still just puppies), and the chickens will eventually be in a dog proof run, but at least they're not barking, chasing, or startling the chicks

i'm working on this myself.
my pitt seems a little too submissive to them right now. lol, my 6 wk old BO went up to her and it made the dog pee on the floor. My rir walked on her back and the dog didn't care much.
My shepard mix is a diff story. He's tried to pick a few of them up and its very hard to break his concentration when he's staring at them. I don't think i'll ever trust him around the chickens.

im new to teh cick game too but i have a lab, a pit mix and a samoyed i also have pet rats that run lose in my room 4 hours a night my lab and pit have adopted teh rats and love them dotn try to hurt them my duke he could care less abotu them except when they pull his fur out. he so fair cares less abotu my chicks i have them in there cage on ground he walked by looked at them then walked on now candi and honey want to like them but can already tell they want to mother the chicks too i say let the dogs get there cerosty done when chicks are with you and tell them gentel when they are around the chicks and they will learn if they watch the chicks grown up (this is the reason i got chicks instead of adults so the dogs can watches them as babys) I also have a desert tortis they dont mess with other then licking him once and while or when duke lifted his leg on him one time i was not a happy turtle mom that day lol

My dog was very interested in the chicks at first. Now that they are older, she is more interested in following them around to eat the droppings
hide.gif
sickbyc.gif
. So far her new "treat" hasn't made her sick, but I'm a little less accepting of her typically generous kisses.

Back
Top Bottom