Chicks and dogs

The thing is, you just never can tell...really. No matter how well-behaved your dog is, or how good they are around the birds, any dog might decide one day that today is the day for a fresh-caught chicken dinner!

I do let my dogs loose with my chickens. Some of my birds free range, and my dogs always accompany me or my husband outside when we go out to do barn chores. So they are together a couple of times per day, though only supervised. I have 3 pit bulls/pit bull mixes--dogs with a naturally high prey drive. They are good dogs and they do not bother the chickens because they have been taught not to (honestly, they are way more interested in chicken poo than in the chickens themselves anyway...
roll.png
) but, if one day one of my dogs gets one of my chickens, I cannot blame the dog--it will be my fault. It doesn't matter that my dogs have never shown any signs of aggression towards the chickens in the years I've had them. I know and fully understand that I am taking a risk by letting them loose with the chickens, no matter how well-behaved the dog.

The thing is, most dogs can't resist chickens. It's just in their nature. I wouldn't chance letting them together if you aren't mentally prepared to deal with the worst-case scenario.

Quote:
Ok I think this answers my question about Labs and chickens. My wife and I are considering getting a golden retriever / black lab mix puppy. I've had a sheppard/Husky dog and he was the smartest dawg I've ever owed. He allowed the household cats to play with him and my youngest to sleep on him. But if you werent part of my household and a critter he'd chase you out of the yard. IE; get your buddy meant find a cat that belonged in the house and play with it, get the cat and he was ready to go outside and chase a cat out of the yard. I do believe aggresive behavoir in dogs has to do early training but was a little concerned about retrievers / labs as they are hunting breeds. Not totally worried because as the cats in my household learned when i married my wife, package deal wife/cats, I am the alpha wolf of the house LOL woof
big_smile.png
woof grrr LOL

Farmer Mack
cool.png
hu.gif

We have a 12 yr old Lab/Husky mix. First couple days he was very excited around the chickens and I was a bit worried. After a week or so, he seemed to really like them. It's now been 1.5 years and never had a problem. In fact our dog gets so much more attention now that we have chickens. Our kids are always out free ranging the chickens in the backyard and the dog loves having them out there.
This is really gross, but very useful for us. The dog loves nothing more than to follow the girls around the yard and eat their poop!! :eek:
I never have to worry about chicken poop in the yard, he just cleans it up. Just have to turn my head when that happens, but the dog seems as healthy as ever. Sorry to gross everyone out.
smile.png

I'd be worried about a predator getting the hens and the dog getting the blame. I keep the dogs and the chickens separate, it's not fair to put temptation in their way. Also if they're cooped nothing else can get them easily.

Well we picked up an 8 week old Austrailian Cattle dog mix, I think the mix is shepard. She traveled from a pound in Georgia to via a rescue place in Penn. to N.H. . I was told that the places in George have a 3 day wait for pups before they are put down so i guess her travels to us kept her alive. She'll have to learn that the chickens are just for looks not for play. Since most of them are a lot bigger than she may find them bit scarey at this point. Maybe I'll have to get her a sheep or a cow to herd
lol.png

Bonnie005.jpg

Wee "Bonnie" 8wks old

Farmer MacK
cool.png
big_smile.png

3 Barred 2 lt Brahma, 2 Prod Blk, 2 Drk Cornish, 2 wh Cochins, 2 cats, and 1 Aussie oy oy oy - oh ya and a wife

Last edited:
Dogs and chickens is a hot topic around here, and basically, all dogs can be trained, but some can and some can't be trusted. Some have it in them some don't. Just work with the guy and good luck! Don't get too upset though if one gets lost to a bit of rough play, as animals will be animals. Chickens are great!

Back
Top Bottom