Chicks and drums...

pinkpalacechics

Hatching
Nov 25, 2022
Hi everyone! I'm new to baby chicks.. currently have 7 living in my bathroom and honestly the space I have setup currently is a bit small for them. I was hoping to move them to a brooder made up of a small chicken coop out in the detached garage but there's one thing. My husband has a drum set out in the garage. If I move the chicks out there will he still be able to practice drums or is that too loud for the chicks? I feel like it would be too loud but I don't know a whole lot about chickens yet so maybe I'm wrong in this assumption? Thoughts? I know it would just be temporary but I would feel awful if moving them to the garage means he can't practice drums until they're old enough to go outside for good...

How old are they? Do you have the outdoor coop ready? With a little supplemental heat (depending on age,) like a heating pad they can go outside. Check out these threads that got me off of having them inside for anything longer than a few days.... And Welcome to BYC!! :frow
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...and-start-raising-your-chicks-outdoors.71995/
http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/yes-you-certainly-can-brood-chicks-outdoors
http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/956958/mama-heating-pad-in-the-brooder-picture-heavy-update

I'm not sure their exact age, we've had them 2 weeks as of yesterday. So my best guess is between 2-3 weeks tops. I've got a few that are much bigger so they may be closer to 4 weeks but the majority of them are probably 2-3 weeks.

My main concern isn't the cold but the drums and is it too loud for them if they're in the garage and he wants to practice drums.. he practices for about 20 minutes every day so it's not a super long time. But they're loud ya know?

I have this coop for them that I'm going to turn into an outside brooder but it needs a few things repaired before I can put the chicks inside of it. I have to still build their permanent coop so this one would just be temporary since it's way too small for 7 chickens but I thought as a brooder it would be perfect.

I have it set up in the garage at the moment but need to fix some of the screening and make a floor for the next box section bc that is all open.
1669496839402.png

I use a pre-fab coop just like that for a brooder too. It's inside my big coop though. Reason I was suggesting outside is that yeah, drums are too loud, you're right. My Ex-husband is a drummer and I know the garage sound well.... You could sort of time it that they go outside to run around in a pen or something, supervised, for the time that he's practicing.... I used old fence boards and wire and made temporary fence section/panels like baby gates, for putting up quick little pens for them to be in when adjusting to my soil.

Your gut is correct: the drums are too loud and stressful for chickens of any age. I think it's fine for them to be in the garage, but they'll need to go outside in some sort of pen when he's practicing. And that might actually be a good way to start getting them acclimated to the outdoors.

Back
Top Bottom